We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Hi,

I would like to travel to West Bengal for a week or two in order to do some photography (and possibly environmental/live recordings) of Baul songs.

I know the biggest meal for Bauls is in the last day of Poush month. From what I understand it's around 13/14th of January 2012.

If anyone knows the answer to the following it would be greatly appreciated:

1. What are the exact dates for Keduli Mela 2013?

2. In your opinion, if one is mostly concerned with seeing and hearing Bauls, would that mela be a good time to go, or would it be to crowded and distracting?

3. What other time of year is good for the purpose stated above, and where should I consider travelling to in order to see them?

Best Regards

Ash

Dublin, Ireland

chicago
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Ash, I'd like to hear what you may have turned up since I'm interested in going to the Kenduli Mela in Janary 2014--too late for your target date I'm afraid.

I've been to a Mela in Santinikitan that's in December, but this isn't what you have questions about.

I'll be grateful for any information on the Kenduli Mela that you can post to me. Thanks.

Kolkata, India
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Am considering to reach Durgapur by a train (there is over 10-12 trains) & then travel 23-24 kms by local transport to reach village Jaydev Kenduli (may book a hotel at Durgapur for over night stay as accomodation in village may be NOT suitable & it is a extreme cold during mid January). Keeping a taxi would prove helpful but may cost around 1200-1500 .

Edited: 17 December 2012, 14:13
Kolkata, India
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Exact date of Kenduli Mela 2013 is 14 January

www.amaderchhuti.com

Delhi, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

Hi Ash

Though you will get to see bauls at Kenduli, of late the mela has been overrun by kirtanias, a group of singaers significantly different from bauls. Also, its tough to get close to the performance 'stages' as the crowd start building up since morning for a late night performance.

A nice place to stay, if you plan on going, is Chhuti resort at Bolpur http://www.chhutiresort.com/. I stayed there last year. Good clean rooms and nice food. A kilometer or two away from the resort is the Bolpur bustop where you will get special buses to Kenduli all day - early morning to late at night. While I was there, I saw the manager organise a special baul performance for a couple. Somethimg you can explore if you need quality recording.

"Sadhan Bairagya's ashram 'Moner Manush' at Kenduli is a popular haunt for fascinated foreigners." (TOI) I can vouch for the popularity.

Calcutta, West...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

exact dates for Keduli Mela 2013 is 14/15/16 th of January .

Calcutta, West...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

what is the exact date of kenduli mela in 2014?????and may i have any hotels in kenduli or beside the ajay rivar???hotel charge???

Kolkata, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

What is the exact date of kendulir mela in 2014????????

8. Re: Jaydev Kenduli Mela 2013 and General Question ref. Bauls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about West Bengal