We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigers! Wildlife!

London, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Tigers! Wildlife!

Hi - we will be visiting West Bengal in April and travelling up to Darjeeling. At some time in our trip we would like to visit a wildlife/tiger reserve for a couple of days.. i was thinking of either the Sunderbans, Jaldapara, or Buxa. Has anyone visited any of these and can you give me any advice as to which one to pick?

We have a 10 year old son.

Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,388 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Sundarban is not recommended in April, rather you can visit Jaldapara or Jayanti (buxa), since you will be from Darjeeling, These places will be convenient for you. Sundarban is just the opposite part of West Bengal.

Edited: 26 September 2010, 21:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Is that because Sunderbans will be too hot then? We will be flying into Calcutta so I thought it might make a nice side trip..

I understand that there are a few wildllife parks up near Darjeeling. Is there one in particular that anyone can recommend? I had been looking at jaldapara and Jayanti but still not sure what to go for. It's very hard trying to piece it all together from the other side of the world!

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
245 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

At Jaldapara we went on a elephant safari. Even though we saw only the pug marks of a tiger, the elephant ride and the rhino sightings made it worth it.

Besides at Jaldapara (then), you can get to ride elephants at Gorumara National Park (www.east-himalaya.com/forests/gorumara.htm)

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,388 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Yes weather is one of the reason. Overall, the possibilities of sighting wildlife is more in North Bengal forests. Though there are no tiger as such. But you will find single- horn rhino, leopard,wild boar, wild elephant in Jaldapara/Hollong (best forest bungalow), Gorumara and other spots.

In comparison, Sundarban is scattered over miles in shape of small and big islands, where cruise is the main mode of transport, from the launch you can see Crocodiles, deers and some birds. You cannot go inside the forest. There are some watch towers in different islands, especially near the sweet water tank, to fecilitate the tourists for sighting Royal Bengal Tigers. I had been there three times so far, could not see anything except a few deers.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 12:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Thanks! Will probably go to Jaldapara then. I had thought that Buxa was a tiger reserve and wanted to go there (although I understand there probably isnt much chance of seeing one) because my son has a thing about tigers (been watching channel 4 programme). Have igot that wrong?

Also what is the standard of accommodation in the forest lodges? I know it is probably basic - does that mean shared toilets? And do they supply food? I am finding it really hard to find all this stuff out online.

Thanks everyone.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,388 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Yes, you can stay in Buxa Jungle Lodge, Rajabhatkhawa located within the Forest areas of BTR.

Site Seeing : Rajabhatkhawa Visit to Jayanti 20 Kms.,Mahakal Temple 7 km.,Historical Buxa Fort via Santrabari 20Kms.,Raimatang 25 Kms., Rashikbeel 30 Kms., Phuntsolling 55 Kms.,Jaldapara 50 Kms.to South Kharibari 10 Km. Leopard Safari to Kunjanagar 20 Kms.,Other Visit to Animal rescue Centre , Harbal Graden , etc.

The accommodation and food is more than basic here.

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

Mr. Ashish is right Sundarban is not recommended in April you can visit Jaldarpara you can go for elephant safari ,horn rhino, leopard,wild boar, and wild elephant etc but rarely you find out Tiger over there.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 17:04
8. Re: Tigers! Wildlife!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2011, 11:25