We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
102 posts
441 reviews
Save Topic
Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Hi everyone

I am planning a road trip by my self driven vehicle with my family from Kolkata to Varanasi.The proposed trip would be either in December if I can spare time out of my schedule or in January 2016.

How to go on about it and street guidance via NH2? This is a 680 Kms trip,and an untested route for me.I have done around 20 Kolkata-Puri-Kolkata which is roughly 500 Kms one way,so am not that new so long as road trips are concerned.

What would be a good hotel at Varanasi upto which I can take my big car ? I had earlier shortlisted Hotel Surya and Hotel Buddha,as both has parking space.But am scared to take my car through Varanasi mayhem.

21 replies to this topic
Howrah, India
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Hi Aurobindo,

I am also planning a benaras trip during that same period. Can you share your probable dates & trip plan so that we can coordinate if you wish at all. You can mail me at abscfo@rediffmail.com.

Thanks.

Anant Pathak.

Howrah, India
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Hi Aurobindo,

I am also planning a benaras trip during that same period. Can you share your probable dates & trip plan so that we can coordinate if you wish at all. You can mail me at abscfo@rediffmail.com.

Thanks.

Anant Pathak.

Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

I am planning to drive down to Varanasi from Kolkata at the end of March 2017. Has anybody made this trip recently? If yes , how long did it take.? I heard that because of 6 laning of NH2 ( AH19), there are frequent detours and you can not drive very fast.I will be driving a maruti Brezza.

Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

just completed a road trip from Kolkata to Jaipur , via Varanasi in my Maruti Vitara Brezza. I started in the afternoon of 23rd Match 2017 and had to stay back at Asansol. There was a rail-engine breakdown in a level-crossing after Asansol. so could not go further. Next day made it to Varanasi,11 hours journey from Asansol (470 km). apart from breakfast and lunch break, there was delay due to trucks at 3 borders, Bengal-Jharkhand, Jharkhand-Bihar and Bihar-UP. Most of us in cars had to cross over to other lane and drive on the wrong side. Varanasi to Agra was a breeze, roads are excellent, so was the drive from Agra to Jaipur. A word of caution- road between Durgapur(WB) to Barhi is atrocious, due to 6 laning activities. If you go by Google, it will direct you to Varanasi through Mugalsarai( very congested road). Better option is to stay on AH19 ( old NH2) and enter Varanasi through old GT Road from the West. If you are travelling towards Agra, please take Taj expressway 41km before you hit Agra on AH19, and enter Agra through Fatehabad Road.

Kolkata, India
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

I am planning road trip to Varanasi in September during the Durga Puja. And feel like a stop-over in between Kolkata and Varanasi. Can any one suggest good stopover that is good and safe to stay with family on both upward and return journey to Varanasi. Give some idea of the road to travel from Barahi.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna
Level Contributor
13,641 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

From Barhi you just have to take NH 2 (old number) to Varanasi,no need to leave the highway.

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
222 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

@gautamkghosh

You can stop one night at Bodhgaya. To visit Bodhgyaya you have to go aroun 30 KM link road from Dobhi. Next morning after visitting some important templs in Bodhgay, you reach to varanasi by evening.

1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Hi I am planning a road trip from kolkata to varanasi. Is it advisable in september and whats the road condition as you said from durgapur onwards and any alternative routes are there ?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1 post
504 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Its a nice thread indeed. We are planning to visit Varanasi on road from Asansol during Durga Puja time (end of Sept 2017).

1. How safe (political and terrorist unrest) is it to drive along Asansol till Varanasi with family?

2. How is the road condition now to drive a standard hatchback car?

3. Which is the most preferred route from Asansol to Varanasi by road?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January

Hi, I am planning a road trip from Kolkata to Delhi. I am fairly comfortable with Varanasi Delhi stretch. However wanted to understand if Kolkata Varanasi is advisable to complete in a day. I have a Alto and I am only driver. I plan to start at around 5 in morning and reach by 7 PM. Consider 2 breaks in between. Is it feasible or should I stop at Gaya for night?

Reply to: Kolkata to Varanasi by car in December-January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted