We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

varanasi, worth a visit?

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
varanasi, worth a visit?

Hi everyone,

I would like to travel through North India, thinking about 2 or 3 weeks in october. My question is, is it worth the travel to Varanasi, taking the nighttrain from Agra. Stay in Varanasi 2 or 3 days and then take the train to Delhi. Or should I stay 2 weeks and skip Varanasi. I will be traveling through Rajasthan, seeing Agra, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur and Jaipur.

Thanks for your answers!

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

Many people visit Varanasi and nearby Sarnath both very holy places for Hindu and Budhist religions respectively. Varanasi very old city some say more then 3000 years old. People go there to visit temples and to see Aarti on Ghats at dusk and dawn while boating on river Ganges.

Overnight train from Agra is good that saves money on hotels you spend for night stay.

deepak

Edited: 14 June 2011, 07:06
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

I personally did not enjoy Varanasi, I thought it was a very dirty place and not worth the long journey, but I think a lot of people might disagree with me. I think you maybe have to be a very spiritual person to appreciate it.

India
Level Contributor
39,488 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

Varanasi reflects Indian heritage, colours, pilgrimage and different moods of Indian culture. No doubt, its a congested place and 'dirty' too. But, many of in-bound as well as domestic tourists like Varanasi, because it is full of life. Although, its a matter of acceptance. Varanasi has lot of things in its treasure, especially, for those, who loves photography .

Edited: 14 June 2011, 13:36
Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

Thanks for your replies! I´m still not sure if it´s worth the long journey. We´re not very spiritual, but open for anything.

Stockport Uk
Level Contributor
104 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

been to India 6 times found Varanasi the most authentic place visited absolutely full of atmosphere. don't miss it

NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

I'm on the same boat trying to ddcide whether it's worth the trip or not. Did you make a decision?

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
275 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

Hi Aligola,

Yes, I decided to go. I did some more research and booked a train to Varanasi. It´s a long journey, but what I´ve heard and read, I think it´s worth it. I´ll be there end of oct. If it´s not to late for you I can tell you about it after my vacation.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
8. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

You shouldn't miss Varanasi, it's unique, we flew from Delhi, then took the overnight train to agra, it was a great experience.

Osaka, Japan
1 post
9. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

you should to visit Varansi good city :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: varanasi, worth a visit?

If you can ....Varanasi is definitely worth a visit..... I had the most amazing experience when i travelled to India in March 2010 and I too did a lot of other cities including Jaipur Jodhpur Jaisalmer Amritsar Chandigarh Delhi and also Agra and Varanasi was one of the highlights of the trip...... the vibe of Varanasi is not replicable anywhere else..... your experiences in Varanasi will definitely be unique only to Varanasi...... it is an amazing city that has to be experienced once ..... is presented with an opportunity to visit Varanasi again....i will definitely go again...........