We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanasi to Delhi by Train

USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Varanasi to Delhi by Train

Does anyone have advice on or experience with this connection? (I'm a little confused about the two stations called Varanasi.) Travel will be in May. Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

As you research more, you'll become more confused, not less; I expect the two stations you're referring to are Varanasi City and Varanasi Junction, but there's also Mughal Sarai, which is not right in Varanasi (I think it's about 13km away), but is important to know about because it's on another major line, and so if you can't find a suitable train between Varanasi and Delhi, you might just find the "perfect" one between MS and Delhi.

As far as the two Varanasi Stations are concerned, I am not an expert here, but my memory is that Varanasi Junction is the "main" one, and virtually any train that plies between Delhi and Varanasi will go to Varanasi Junction. Varanasi City Station is a few kilometres further on, and some, but not all, of the trains will continue from the junction station into the city.

Varanasi City Station is closer to most of the sights and hotels of Varanasi, so if you can get a train that goes through to there, it's probably the most convenient. However, there's really not much in it, and anyway, there is no lack of autorickshaws at the Junction ready to whisk you into town and to whichever district you want.

There's at least one other station in Varanasi also... I know this because we saw it on one of our walks, and assumed it was one of the "main" two, and decided to catch a train from there.... but when we entered, we found it was another station entirely (can't remember the name, but it doesn't matter, anyway, as I'm sure it won't concern your planning).

I will now yield to the Varanasi experts, because they will be able, certainly, to add to what I've so far said, and it's possible that they might need to correct something I've said that isn't correct.... as I said, I'm not an expert on Varanasi, but I did do a bit of "training" on both times I visited.

By the way, while Mughal Sarai and Varanasi Junction are on different major lines, there is a branch line to connect the two by train (and, of course, also by bus)... but the train we took was inordinately slow -- about an hour! -- considering that they're only around 15 km apart.

USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

Thanks, AlanJ, for taking the time to clarify a few things. I found some trains, none that leave from M.S. but one that seems to do the trick in terms of time and number of stops.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

There are many trains from Varanasi to Delhi; but the fastest ones (under 9 hours) are all from Mughal Sarai, and they are mostly inconveniently timed. The exception is 2309 - RJPB RAJDHANI which dep.arts MGS 22.38 arrives NDLS 07.35 in 8 hrs and 57 minutes. This train has a very good AC 1st class (expensive @ Rs 2205 per ticket), and also AC 2 Tier (Rs 1315) and 3 Tier (Rs 970).

Then there is the 11-hour train, 2397 MAHABODHI EXP which departs MGS at a sensible 17.50 and arrives NDLS at 05.00.

Similarly there is 2801 PURUSHOTTAM EXP MGS 17.30 NDLS 04.50, but unlike Mahabodhi, this train has several stops before it comes into MGS, so you will experience delays.

My recommendation for a train that departs Varanasi Jn would be this one 2559 - SHIV GANGA EXP - departs Varanasi Jn BSB - 19.15 and arrives NDLS 07.40. (the B in BSB is for Banaras, which is the local name for Varanasi). This train originates at Varanasi, so there is less chance of delay, has few stops, but has no pantry.

But there are lots more trains; if you need more help please ask.

san francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

i would suggest you check the indian rail website to check all options.

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

i just found it in a varanasi forum and has been super helpful (i'm looking into going to Bodh Gaya from Varanasi)

USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

Thank you so much for this, Deepa. I think I'm ready to actually book a train now!

USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

I've learned alot about Mughal Serai from this series of posts (GREAT THANKS!) -- enough to think that I should take a train FROM Kolkata to M.S. instead of Varanasi JN because the night train to MS is so much faster!

Okay, so just one more thing: Coming FROM Kolkata and arriving at Mughal Serai at 6 AM, would it be easy or difficult to find transport to the guest house in Varanasi (already booked) and how much would we expect to pay? Is this as good an idea as it seems to be? Does this make sense?

Thanks again...

7. Re: Varanasi to Delhi by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 10:46