We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

I have a little extra time at the end of my trip and Varanasi has been on my list for years.

To pull it off, I would have to:

*fly Mumbai->Varanasi arriving late morning/midday Wednesday

*fly Varanasi->Mumbai departing midday on Friday

So basically 48 hours total. I'm a female traveling solo, so that cuts down on after dark wandering. I'm also a photographer, so usually prefer to explore without a guide - but open to input on that.

Given all of the above, is 48 hours enough to make it worthwhile? Any big time sucks I'm not thinking of like airport transfers, etc.?

19 replies to this topic
Varanasi
Level Contributor
617 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

48 hours is enough for Varanasi. Do the early morning boatride at dawn and walk along the alleyways. Varanasi is safe, dont worry.Just stay away from the touts.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
276 reviews
2. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Hi,

The time is adequate to explore Vaaranasi as well as Sarnath. Since, you have apprehensions about the time after dusk, please seek accommodation near the ghats and start your day early in the morning with your camera. You will not realize as the time flies. There is a lot to explore in this old city.

You will meet a lot of international tourists in Varanasi and will not feel lonely.

CarLink

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
3. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Hi Liz, why not?! If it’s been a dream of yours and you want to go, then go! Don’t worry about being a solo female, I’ve traveled 5 out 7 of my trips to India as a solo female, and it’s been a wonderful experience. As post #1 & 2 said, Varanasi is great to walk around in the the busy areas after dark, just watch out for the touts and fake Hindu priests that try to ask for money for cremations.

Have a great trip! 😃

Edited: 14 October 2017, 07:48
Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
252 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

48 hrs is enough time to visit Varanasi. Please find the projectd itinerary:

Wednesday: Evening boat ride followed by Ganga Aarti

Thursday: Morning boatride followed by old city walk and after breakfast fast visit Sarnath. Late afternoon till evening again explore old city on foot.

Friday: Fly back to Mumbai.

Varanasi is always safe for the solo female traveller.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Thanks everyone! Great to hear it's do-able and appreciate the itinerary tips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Just contacts of 2 female guides in Varanasi -Sunita Shukla and Jayanti Chatterjee.

touristguideinvaranasi.com/government-approv…

I have no idea how good they are as guides, but they are there for the worried solo female traveller.

In the list below, you have contact details for at least one more female guide; one Anita Devi.

touristguideinvaranasi.com/government-approv…

Again I don't know how good or bad she is as a guide.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
711 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

Hi Liz

48 hrs is good time to have in Varanasi. As you are a photographer. It will give you more time to have perfect shots.

There will not issue, you walk around in the streets after dark. But you need to careful and attentive.

Visit Sarnath on Friday on your return before boarding your flight to Mumbai.

Exploration of Varanasi without guide is not a issue. I am sure you will have good time out there.

With regards

Shaan

8. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 October 2017, 11:05

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
252 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

@indiaviajeencoche: Sarnath Museum does't open on Friday. It takes around 20 to 30 minutes to go to Sarnath from Varanasi central city and one can see most important part i.e. Archeological site, Museum, Mahabodhi temple and some other temple in maximum 2 hrs. So it will take total 3-4 hrs.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 10:31
Thane, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?

HI,

Perfectly proper for you spend 2 full days at Varanasi. Very spiritual place and peaceful, The river Ganga is the most purest of all rivers. Just returned yesterday from the trip.

You may find sometimes people not known to you but guiding you as they have known for ages. The Ganga purifes us and uplifts our lives.

Its to be experienced.

Please dont miss this opportunity.

Reply to: 48 hours in Varanasi, solo female - worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted