We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Just wondering what is the best way to go to Varanasi . We will be in Agra overnight having come from Jaipur and then want to see Varanasi . It will be February and just wondering are we better to go back to Delhi and then do return flights to Varanasi or would the train be best and then flight back to Delhi.

13 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

I think it depends on how much time you have and the experience you are looking for. It is a personal decision. Do you want the longer overnight train Indian experience? OR would you rather just drive back to Delhi, transfer to the airport and fly there? The later one is more straight forward and "direct" in a way, maybe a more simple approach in a some ways to get there...but the train may appeal some people more for the more for the "journey" to Varanasi.

agra
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Train would be a fun.. A famous way among tourist to go to Varanasi from Agra. Book in First class and enjoy the Incredible India

Cheers

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
572 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

There are direct trains from Agra to Varanasi, so I think it is better to take a direct train from Agra to Varanasi. Travel time is 10 to 14 hours (depending on train), which is less (I think) if you go from Agra to Delhi and then from Delhi to Varanasi.

Raj,

Train Ticket Please

Varanasi
Level Contributor
573 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Train is fun. Try booking from Agra to Varanasi Jn and if not, then Tundla Jn to Varanasi Jn or Mughalsarai Jn. Ac first and second class are best but if unavailable AC 3rd is fine too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Its depned on your time and budget if you have short time so flight would be best option and if you have limited budget so train would be fine. Both options are safe.

Regards,

GO MY JOURNEY

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

I did a train ride from Delhi to Agra then Agra to Varanasi. On our trip to India, the train ride overnight was the absolute highlight of our trip. The trip we took was overnight and the highest class we were able to get was AC4 which means we shared our space with a lovely couple from Italy. We had a guide who was instrumental to the success of our trip. If you would like his contact info please message me.

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
572 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

@JoseV784

There is no AC 4 in Indian Railways. I think you traveled in AC 2 tier, two berths (upper and lower) on one side and two berths (upper and lower) on the other side.

Raj,

Train Ticket Please

Durham
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

My advice is to fly unless you have time to spend on the train

9. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 October 2017, 19:32

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly

Hello krfleet,

I would advise you to remove your email address from a public forum, it is not a good idea as you will start receiving spam and unwanted emails, as well leave yourself vulnerable to other things. You can remove your post by clicking on "report inappropriate content" and use the pull down menu.

If you are interested in booking train tickets, or want information about doing so, i encourage you to contact Raj, from post #7 - just click on his profile to send him a message and he can check on availability of first class tickets for you on the overnight train.

best wishes.

Reply to: Agra to Varanasi overnight train or train to Delhi and fly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted