We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided walking tour

Level Contributor
127 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Self guided walking tour

Has anyone done a walking tour of Varanasi on their own without a tour guide? I am looking at a number of sites getting an idea of the temples and markets to see. I have one full day to explore and plan to do an early morning walk and afternoon walk. I can not leave Varanasi due to limited time. I am opting for self guided as we like to wander around at our pace rather than being restricted. If anyone has done a walking route which they recommend I would greatly appreciate the plan. Thank you for your time.

12 replies to this topic
Delhi
Level Contributor
500 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self guided walking tour

Hi beckyarya,

Though you have limited time, you may do a self walking tour on your own. The areas you may be able to cover in a day would be the river ghats and the markets nearby, any thing more than this would ask for more time.

Delhi
Level Contributor
500 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self guided walking tour

Walking tour is more comfortable during winters.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,147 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self guided walking tour

Hi beckyarya,

When I was there, we did a self guided walking tour. I do not remember what site I got it from, but I remember I got an on-line self guided walking tour or two and printed them off and kind of/somehwhat followed them, although we did go off the track a little bit if we saw something that caught our interest. Have a look online and I am sure you can find many suggestions. Will you have time to travel to Sarnath?

Also make sure to go to the aarti in the evening at the Dashashwamedh Ghat.

Safe Travels.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,147 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self guided walking tour

HI again, I had a look back at my book shelf, and I remembered that I used my EyeWitness Guide Book to India a lot for a walking guide. I really like their books for that. They have detailed pictograms of many places and I would photocopy those and take them with me when I visited those places, and leave behind for other travellers when I left.

Safe Travels.

agra
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self guided walking tour

Back Alley of Ghats from one end of Ghat to other side of Ghat is Amazing .

Even the Walk on Ghats itself from one end to other is great

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Self guided walking tour

Hi

You can cover kasi vishwanath temple which will take around 4 hours. One also gets tired after that. Later. You can visit dashwamedh ghat and enjoy boating though preferable in morning and evening. Or you can walk along to nearby ghats...like manikarnika etc. You can enjoy local specialities like kachori and lassi on the go

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self guided walking tour

Hi beckyarya

Reach godowlia crossing by cycle rikshaw/ tuk tuk and start your walking tour from there. Thats the most happening place of varanasi. Road leads to dashaswamedh ghat (bank of river gange). Start your google map from there and mark dashaswamedh ghat on it. It takes approx 20 mins to reach. You may hire boat to see all GHATS and places in better way. You can see a beautiful AARTI (hindu ritual) on dashaswamedh ghat in evening at 6pm. You can go to assi ghat from there but thats almost 3.5 kms from there. at last take cycle rikshaw/tuk tuk to reach your hotel.

Other interesting places are - sarnath and ramnagar fort

Level Contributor
127 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self guided walking tour

Thank you to you all for taking the time to reply. Your answers have helped me out! Safe travels all.

New Delhi, India
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Self guided walking tour

Planning to visit Varanasi for a few days in late Sept. Does anyone recommend any cycling tours or routes that I should do? Any fellow cyclists want to join?

Looking to do 3-4 rides during the trip.

-Sohrab

Level Contributor
127 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self guided walking tour

Sohrab, if I was you I would post a new question on the forum, to ensure you get as many replies as you possible can rather than posting on this thread of answers as users my miss your question. If you check lonely planet it may give suggestions.

Reply to: Self guided walking tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted