We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diwali in Varanasi

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Diwali in Varanasi

Hi, We are coming to Varanasi during Diwali ( 18-22 Oct). What are the special events happening for Diwali ? I found a lot of post on Dev Diwali but not much on Diwali. Our flights , hotels etc is booked for Diwali so there is no option for Dev Diwali. Are there any Diya decoration on any of the Ghats ? Do they still perform Ramleela, etc etc.... Thanks :)

14 replies to this topic
Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Hi BHJosh,

Diwali is the biggest festival in Varanasi, you can expect a lot of fireworks. People also decorate their house by lighting diyas and also on ghats (though the ghats are more decorated on dev diwali). You can visit the Annapurna Temple as there is a special darshan on this day. Ramleela is celebrated at many places, prominent one being Ramnagar, however by diwali most of the Ramleela comes towards end. You will still enjoy Diwali with lots of decoration, shopping and fireworks and temple visits.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Many Thanks SriAbhi for the info. We are looking forward to celebrating Diwali in Varanasi. Unfortunately we can not move our dates to be there for Dev Diwali. I am hoping that at least one Ghat will have Diya decorations :) Any recommendation for good place to buy Authentic Banarasi silk sarees ? ( does not have to be cheap one but must be of good quality )

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Hi BHJosh,

There are many saree shops in Godowliya market, you can find the saree you are looking for, here. This place is very close to the Vishwanath Temple & Dashashwamegh Ghat. Please note that market may open on Diwali day only for muhurat, and may remain closed a day or two thereafter, so plan your saree shopping accordingly.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Thank you. Will have to do shopping on the first day then..... We leave varanasi on 22nd so don't want to miss it :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

I would like to add on to this post as we are planning to be in Varanasi for the night of November 4th. Can we expects lot of extra activity, lights and excitement on the Ganga that evening? Most info I'm finding is mentioning Nov 3rd as a big night but not much about the 4th. Thank you in advance!

Varanasi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Yes you are right DevDeepwali is one of the biggest festival of Varanasi. Several things runing on 3 November 2017- check out here we are creating group for that Festival Tour - fb / varanasiguide. in

Varanasi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

You can check here it is a great option face book. Complete / varanasiguide. in

Delhi
Level Contributor
514 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Hi Cathay881Heavy,

You can still enjoy the boat ride in Ganga and other activities, just that there will be less of lighting and fireworks as compared to the 3rd.

9. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2018, 05:09

california
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diwali in Varanasi

Hello,

Did you ever go to Varanasi for Diwali? I am looking at going for Diwali 2018. I would like to be there for Dev Diwali but can't go then. I was also wondering if there is much happening for 'regular' Diwali.

Reply to: Diwali in Varanasi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted