We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi- Mathura - Agra

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi- Mathura - Agra

Hi,

We are planning to stay in Ginger Rail Yatri Niwas in delhi. So since we are very close to the railway staion, our plan is to leave by train from Delhi to Mathura..

But we do not want to miss any important places like Fatehpur Sikri by travelling on train,

My questions are below.

1. Is it possible to go from delhi to mathura by train and then by cab to agra..

2, If we go by cab from mathura to agra , can we cover places like Fatepur Sikri, vrindavan and any other important places in the midway.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

From Mathura you can cover easily Vrindavan, Agra and Fatehpur Sikri. At least 01night stay recommended.

Staying in Agra would be more better as wide range of accommodation available there and also you can arrive early by Shatabadi Exp. then easier to cover the places mentioned.

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

Thanks for your reply.

But my question is, I have two options.

Option 1:

Take train from Delhi to Mathura. Get down at Mathura and hire a cab. Visit Vrindavan, Fatehpur Sikri and reach Agra. Overnight stay in agra.

Option 2:

Take cab from Delhi itself and do the entire trip as mentioned above.

Which will be better option.

3. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2012, 20:03
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

If you are 3-4 people it will be better to hire a car for the whole trip. On Day 1-early moning drive to Agra Via Fatehpur Sikri. Next day again early morning drive to Delhi via Mathura and Vrindavan. Please note the most of the temples and Krishna Janambhumi is closed by12 noon. Taj is closed on Friday.

deepak

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

We have already booked the night stay in Agra,

And we are planning to do Agra,Mathura, Fatehpur Sikri and Vrindavan on the same day..

Need your suggestions on car/train based on that..

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

To me both options are good. But I think getting good experienced driver in Mathura would be hard. Better to hire taxi from Delhi itself, If it is not very expensive.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
774 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

Hi,

After visiting mathura frsit u have to visit vrindavan,cos vrindavan is very close from mathura.and then if any train suit ur time,then take train from mathura to agra and make ur night stay in agra.

better get agra from mathura by train,u can hire cab from mathura,but better will be hire cab from agra for fatehpur-sikeri and full day agra tour.remember taj-mahal is closed on each friday.

next day from agra by taxi-car u can visit fatehpur -sikeri,u have to hire taxi-car for full-day after coming back from fatehpur sikeri visit taj-mahal,red-fort,baby -taj,and other attractions in agra.

vijay.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

If you have booked your hotel in Agra, then I suggest the following plan:

Day 1 - Drive from Delhi to Mathura, leave early around 5:30 am, you will reach in 4hrs. Visit Mathura and Brindavan. Drive 1hr to Agra, on the way visit Sikandra. Sunset view of Taj from other side of the Yamuna River. Overnight Agra

Day 2 - Visit Taj Mahal at sunrise, check out of hotel, visit Agra Fort and return to Delhi visiting Fatehpur Sikri on the way.

For 4 people, it is pointless to go by train, you won't save any money and your sightseeing won't be convenient either.

The reason I have suggested leaving Delhi early is because the temples close by about 11 am.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 09:25
Washington DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

hi nishmi

I see you are planning to visit Agra & Jaipur from delhi. Suggest you book a car & driver for the full trip. It is very convenient in case you are traveling with kids. That is what i am planning to do on my trip in Aug. With all the bags/kids, it will be one less thing to worry about, not to talk about the haggling nuisance you will need to do for every trip in a rickshaw or taxi.

I booked my car & driver from four wheel drive Rajasthan. I am sure you can find other reputable companies in TA and get the best quote.

Sampath

10. Re: Delhi- Mathura - Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 00:47