We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taj mahal - what would you choose?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
taj mahal - what would you choose?

hi again,

i have a question i was hoping all you experts out there could help me with: we are a family of four, travelling in August with a driver. we will be leaving Jaipur mid morning for Agra and staying one night there. We are driving to Orccha the next day, so we plan on spending the morning in Agra too.

Originally we were thinking about visiting the Taj twice, for late afternoon/sunset AND sunrise, but now I am thinking maybe that is too much....maybe we should just visit it once. what are your thoughts? Is it too much?

If we do visit it just once, should we visit it at late afternoon/sunset or at sunrise? which one is the best time to visit?

thanks in advance, i really appreciate and value your opinions!

Jo

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

You can see the Taj from across the river in the evening/sunset and get some marvellous pics without visiting the actual site - save that for dawn the next day, when it will also have the advantage of being at its coolest!

Day 1, I suggest visiting the Fort or Itmad-ud-daulah's tomb and shoppimg in the evening for some marble - we saw beautiful coasters, dishes and table tops at one shop, but there're many. We also bought some tea - marsala chai - at a tea shop where they made several strength/flavours for us to try, until we found the one we wanted. Another thing we bought in Agra as well as elsewhere in India was some beautiful handmade paper, feels like parchment, with lots of seeds, bits of flower petal, etc making each sheet a small work of art/nature and costing next to nothing.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

Better to leave early in the morning around 7 from Jaipur so that you can visit Fatehpur Sikri on the way to Agra and also Agra Fort, Mini taj and Mehtab Bagh.

As mentioned by Johnb121 above visit Mehtab Bagh across the river Yamuna on Day 1 from where it is good view of Taj in evening. Next day early morning visit to Taj. From Agra you can travel by train to Orcha to avoid long drive by car.

deepak

Edited: 22 April 2012, 06:36
Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

Agreed with above experts. Do mehtab bagh first day...Tajmahal is beautiful across the river

Next day yah visit at sunrise before breakfast.

agra
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

sunset from mehtab bagh

sunrise from inside

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

thanks for all the great advice everyone, that sounds like a good plan. our itinerary says that the drive from Agra to Orccha is 4 to 5 hours. does that sound about right? we can't take the train because we have a drive with us for several more days.

also how far is Fatehpur Sikri out of Jaipur on the way to Agra? how long should you give to visit it?

thank you!

Jo

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

My personal experience of FS was not a good one. Basically, FS is about 45 minutes out of Agra. When we were going to visit it was hot, I was tired, I walk with crutches or use a wheelchair and the latter was not an option at the visitor centre, So, hot, on crutches and getting hassled big time by "guide" who would not take "no" for an answer. He followed us and pestered us all the way to the zone where you get the little bus up to FS. There, we discovered that there are no easy-access buses, and I could not manage to climb aboard the buses which were available. So, turn around and more hassle and pester to buy something from the shops all the way back to where we'd parked the car.

Enough moaning John! The visitor centre is at the foot of the hill, FS at the top. You park, get hassled, then go up on the bus. I'd give it a couple of hours once you've got up there, to take it slowly 'cos it will be HOT HOT HOT.

J

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

What Johnb121 has mentioned is very much true and hawkers there are a bit aggressive. You have to walk through shops and boys trying to engage you in some kind of conversation and pestering you to visit shops and trying to impress you with their knowledge about your country. But the golden rule to avoid them is keep quite keep moving if you you can raise your hand signaling to stop with some hard expression. This is what i advise when going there with my clients on tour. They will immediately leave you. It is tested method follow it and you will be in peace. Fateh pur Sikri is a world heritage site 40 kms. (app.1hr.) before Agra.

deepak

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

excellent advice john and deepak! i have to practice my hard look! >:-/

Jo ;)

agra
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

just ignore them...even dont have eye contact.......keep quite

10. Re: taj mahal - what would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:12