We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Can anyone tell me if we can get a prepaid taxi from agra to fatehpur sikri? if yes, where would we get it and how much is the cost?

also what is the state/government approved rates for a tour guide (The OFFICIAL rates) and is there a link to see and verify the rates online?

Thanks all

- V

Agra, India
Level Contributor
669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Good morning ,

on this site , you can find my recommendation of travels agents and official tour guide,,you can contact them in advance ...it is better to book things in advance ..

Guide charges Rs.950 for full day and Rs.650 for half day..

regards

Raja

Edited: 22 February 2012, 07:52
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

The assumption being of course, that anything our government decides and fixes as "ofiicial" is actually correct? :)

Edited: 22 February 2012, 09:18
TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Deepa shouldnt the govt publish these rates on an official site or publication? I have gotten various bids from tour guides - all of them different and all of them claiming to be "approved" govt guides. sorry but I am used to a much more efficient process

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Actually I have been to at least 20 countries and whenever I have purchased a tour, I have usually paid private tour companies a per person rate for their bus tours or river boat tours or walking tours, or I have hired car + driver privately and paid a day's charges.

Does the US Tourism Department publish a daily rate that should be paid to tour guides? In my 3 months of touring the USA I did not see any such indications but that was a while ago. Nor did I see any rates published by the UK Tourism Department during a tour of London. I went to Greece and we had tour guides and I didn't see any rates printed anywhere. The price we paid was what the tour companies that were offering the tours charged. If you have any links to provide for the USA I would be interested in seeing them since I work in the tourism business and it is useful to know just on a professional basis.

The Indian tourism department has a college that provides training and license to guides, so that they are qualified to take people into specific monuments. This is supposed to ensure a minimum level of competence. According to me, that is a very good idea, because it ensures that tourists don't get misinformed and told tall tales like in that movie, Slumdog Millionaire :)

On the issue of guide fees, at least in the Indian context, I am not sure why the tourism department needs to mandate what a freelance guide should be paid. They don't mandate what drivers or hotel waiters should get paid, so why guides? Why not let the market determine it?

Out of the many licensed guides that exist, not all have the same levels of competence and knowledge, since to be a good guide you need independent reading and absorption of knowledge, combined with good interpersonal skills. So it is natural and indeed, very much in line with a free economy, that more knowledgeable experienced guides with good references should be able to command a premium. Why should they be paid the same rates that a rookie gets paid?

Deepa

Edited: 22 February 2012, 21:19
TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Well there is a different way of working and culture. In the US, there is more emphasis on "go out and explore on your own". Labor is expensive, unlike India. Therefore, excellent documentation, routes and maps exists. The premise is that of "self reliance". Secondly, not all cultures have ancient histories like India. India is blessed to be such an ancient multi cultural beehive of an ecosystem. Due to lack of history - there is not an empahsis on conducted tours.

If there are varying fees for guides in agra. then we should not be told "these are government rates". That gives an impression of uniformity. We should just be told "I am not a rookie and I charge for my experience". Thats fine, but we should not be told half truths. I agree with you in the concept of a free economy. capitalism has its pros but cons too.

Lastly, the idea of a guide college is excellent and indded appreciated but how many of them actually show us their credentials via a website or a scan in email or an association database? My experience says not many.

Different cultures, different ways of doing business. We (I) just have to adapt.

Anyway it is great to talk about these issues and I thank you for your insights ,

- V

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Hai, Deepa-Krishnan,

You have any idea of The Tourist Guide Federation of South India,

See the link below. I don't know about them, I came across in net only.

tgfsi.org/userfiles/…202013.pdf

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Indu, the guide associations are like a voluntary trade union of guides, they are not the same as the tourist department or the government.

Deepa

Edited: 22 February 2012, 23:57
TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Guys, back to my original question. What is a reasonable charge for a drive between agra and fatehpur sikri and back - basic car with A/C. ?

Thanks.

agra
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

why dont u visit toursbylocals.com

It's canadian company,u can rely on it

I think.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid cab/taxi options? OFFICIAL tour guide rates?

Hi

Car can be hired for fatehpur sikri day excursion @ 1500- 2000.++

It depend upon condition of car & service of Driver.