We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much to Tip Driver?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
354 reviews
How Much to Tip Driver?

Tomorrow, I will finish up a 2 day/2 night trip with my driver to/from Dehli/Agra. As a solo female traveler, I must say that Magansing (hopefully spelled correctly) from Namaste India has been the perfect help and has made this a comfortable happy experience.

What is a customary tip in this situation? My hotel service book suggests 10% is a typical figure for tips. I'm getting low on rupees, too; would it be ok to tip in US dollars?

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

Yes you can tip your driver in any currency and they are able to exchange it.10-15 % usual tip but if you are happy with the service then it is your decision.I have seen people paying more also.

deepak

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

It's perfectly fine to pay in USD.

When it comes to tips there is no thumb rule. Particularly, when it comes to tipping a driver 10 % of the invoice value doesn't apply.

As you're happy with the services, paying anywhere between $5-7 per day appear reasonable.

Vivek

Edited: 26 September 2010, 14:02
3. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 20:33
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

India_travel_advice: I have been constantly observing your negative comments on this forum. Could I advise you to mind your language?

Most of your comments in this forum are personal and you hardly have helped anyone by your presence till now. Do some thinking and try to make your presence in this forum more constructive. I would also advise you to take some English lessons, because your broken English confuses people to interpret your intention ('to provide honest, accurate suggestion' -picked from your profile ).

I presume you've been raised in fortunate circumstances, how much do you tip a driver per day being an Indian when you're happy? Tell the truth.

I'm not against paying even 100 dollars per day, but the problem is, once the person is paid 100 dollars, he/she starts expecting from every tourist. Let's not forget the tip is above and beyond the money already paid for the service.

Secondly, when someone says 10-15 per cent of the bill. How will you calculate? If I've paid Rs.100,000 (hundred thousand) to the tour company, should I tip Rs 10-15k to the driver?

At the regular tourist circuits, I have seen many Indians complaining that they don't receive adequate service because many drivers/waiters think that they are not going to be tipped well.

The following is a long thread on tipping which will certainly help anyone looking for an advice on tipping in India:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k392…

Vivek

5. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 20:33
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

Indian_travel_advice:Tipping has been discussed in this forum hundreds of times. If you access the link in my previous post, I hope you too would agree with the comments made by 'cyberhippie.'

A $100 tip per day to a driver... am I on Mars? By any standard the advice to give $100 per day to a driver is inexcusable. I've failed to understand why a foreigner should be ripped off? Let's not forget, when someone pays exorbitant tip, the others who pay less, suffer. Is $5-7 per day a joke. Ask yourself...? Roughly it's 200-350 rupees.

You've answered the other question in supposition. ' if I travel as tourist, I wouldn’t....two days.' I'm sure you've traveled in India, how much per day you've paid to the drivers? Could you tell the exact amount paid?

I'm not looking forward to the answer, my only point is: Let's not misguide people!

Vivek

delhi
Level Contributor
241 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

I perfectly agree with Vivek . a 5 to 7 dollar tip is a good amount for ur driver in a country like india.and he will be very happy with that.i have travelled a lot and tipping varies from country to country. Dont tip them more to show ur financial imprudence.We are predominantly still a poor country and even a 5to 7 dollar tip per day means a lot to a huge section of our population.Dont spoil them by aggressive tipping, u wont like them to show rude faces to other tourist when they tip less. Anyways happy travelling and enjoy our country .

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
8. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

India_travel_advice, Your personal comments are in bad taste. It's a forum where you give your opinion & views and others give their's, it's upto the OP to decide which way to go.

I am also with Vivek here. USD 5-7 (i.e. Rs. 200-300) is sufficient as tip im my opinion also. That ageold bookish thing 10% of the invoice may work well in a restaurant but fails in taxi scenario.

And Anurag is right in saying that if you spoil them by giving higher tips they get dispoointed and behave rudely if they do not get similar tips from other travellers.

So the tip is to tip sensibly.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

Agree with Vivek, I too paid 250 rupees to my driver for a day on my trip to Kumbhalgarh & back from Udaipur which is like 6$ going by the current X'rates and he looked more than happy.

And K_Yogi is absoutely correct in saying "That ageold bookish thing 10% of the invoice may work well in a restaurant but fails in taxi scenario"

I too have a similar opinion.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: How Much to Tip Driver?

Thank you Vivek, anurag, K_Yogi and ShoabKhot for the comments that reflect some sanity. I am more than happy to give tips for good service, especially in a country like India with lower incomes than here in Australia, BUT I expect it to be a reasonable amount. I wouldnt tip anyone here in Australia as much as $100 a day, and I very much doubt that anyone would expect it.