We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi & Agar

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delhi & Agar

Hi,

I will be in Delhi from 24 to 26 Sept (end of business trip), would like to plan a trip to Agar, to visit the Taj Mahal.

Any suggestion as to where to stay will be easy to take a train for the trip. also, what are the places of interest that I should not missed in Delhi & Agar.

I saw some suggestion about hiring car & drivers, we are a party of two, is this a more workable way to travel in India?

Thank you for advices.

Irene

Jaipur, Rajasthan
Level Contributor
264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi & Agar

Irene its Agra and not Agar :)

You can take a cab from Delhi which is very well accepted mode of transport in India and can plan a day trip. You can leave early morning and can visit Taj and Fatehpur Sikri and return back the same day to delhi.

Avoid staying the night at Agra.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,834 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi & Agar

Sept 24 : Early morning drive to Agra from Delhi (approx 3.5 hrs), On arrival visit Tajmahal. After lunch - Agra Fort. Stay that night at Agra. Best place to stay Oberoi Amar Vilas. You can see the Taj from your room.

Sept 25 : After breakfast drive to Jaipur, visit Fatehpur Sikri en-route. Afternoon - Visit City Palace, Hawa mahal, Jantar Mantar. Stay at Jaipur.

Sept 26 : After breakfast - Amer Fort. After lunch - back to Delhi.

You may contact Mr. Pradeep Chopra/09868210740 for the cab. He is reliable, I used him in multiple occasions.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi & Agar

Irene,

If you have less time then very popular way of doing the trip is by Bhopal Shatabdi Exp. That starts from New Delhi at 0600 AM and reaches Agra at 0810 Am and return to Delhi by evening Bhopal Shatabdi Exp. Leaving Agra at 0825 PM.

If you don't want a hectic day then overnight stay and using a car for travel is another very popular way of doing the tour. There are many recommmendations on the forums for the transport and travel agents. you can look at those recommendations and see what they are offering at what price.

deepak

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Delhi & Agar

Hi Pathfyder,

Thanks for the correction, is AGRA and not AGAR.

I would like to know why you do not recommend overnight at Agra?

Irene

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi & Agar

Hi AshisRoy,

Thanks for your recommendation.

Irene

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi & Agar

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your recommendation. Do youhave any highly recommended tour operators?

Irene

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi & Agar

As mentioned by Deepak above the fastest to travel would be by train and the best train for you would be 2002 Bhopal shatabadi express which leaves Delhi at 0615 Hrs and reaches Agra at 0812 HRS and you can use the same train to go back to Delhi in the Evening 2001 Bhopal Shatabadi Express which leaves Agra Cantt at 2030 HRS and reaches New Delhi at 2230 HRS.....you will have the whole day in Agra in which you can explore the city....

The ticket for chair car is around Rs. 400 one way and Ist AC is Rs. 700.

You will have to purchase separate tickets for each way....and the tickets can be bought in advance....

see http://www.seat61.com/India.htm and you will get all the information about trains in India.....

This trains is the most reliable and doesn't get canceled.....at the worst it can run late on a very foggy day.....that too very seldom....

I personally would suggest taking the Shatabadi express as it reduces your traveling time to the minimum....secondly it is very comfortable....saves you from driving 9-10 hrs in total (from Delhi to Agra and Back) breakfast is served on board....and on return from Agra to Delhi Dinner is served on board.....

In Agra you can book a Taxi which can meet you at the station and take you around Agra and drop you at the Railway Station in the Evening to take the train back to New Delhi....

Agra is a wonderful city....the ancient capitals of the Mughals and greats sights to explore...

1.) The world Famous Taj Mahal

2.) Agra Fort....A beautiful fortress which is one of the biggest and most elaborate in Northern India....

3.) Itmad-ud-Daulah....Famous as the Baby Taj (It is said that the inspiration of the Taj Mahal was taken from this building)

4.) Fatehpur Sikri....the deserted capital of the mughal king Akbar....(About 35 KMS from Agra

5.) Sikandra....Tomb of the mughal king Akbar....

I feel at a comfortable pace one can manage to cover four out of the five places mentioned above....

You might want to stay overnight in Agra to see the Taj Mahal at Sunrise, October is actually a very good time for the sunrise visit to the Taj mahal as the monsoon season is over and the sky is usually very clear, driving to Agra from New Delhi takes about 4-5 hrs., the highway is really good and it's a comfortable drive.

For recommendations on travel agents or car rentals you can search for "Car recommendations" or "Car Rental" in the white box above.

Happy Traveling.....

Sunil

Edited: 08 September 2010, 12:33
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi & Agar

Hi Irene,

As desired by you i give you detail of a local agent- Travel Bureau Agra contact at e mail ID -

travelbureau@vsnl.com

travelbureau@sancharnet.com

deepak

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi & Agar

Travel Bureau is a great travel agency. I second Deepak Ji here.

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi & Agar

Hi just read your email on your visit to Agra, using a taxi driver Mr Pradeep Chopra. We will be visiting Delhi and wanting to go to Agra . I was wondering how much roughly did your sightseeing cost with this taxi and is suitable for 3 persons. Many thanks Amanda