We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Agra

New York, NY
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Around Agra

Are there any villages or places of interest outside of Agra other than Fatehpur Sikri?

After arriving from Delhi by car, we have the day in Agra when we plan to walk around and visit Taj Mahal (during the late afternoon to avoid the crowds).

The next day we will see Fatehpur Sikri in the morning and I am wondering if there any villages or places that might be worth a stop before returning to Agra for the second night.

Then off to Jaipur. Appreciate any advice on to how to maximize benefit from these couple of days in Agra, especially to see something with more than just tourist value.

Thanks.

Agra, bhubaneswar...
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Agra

Let me tell you first that Fatehpur Sikri is about an hour of drive from agra ( on the same highway which leads to Jaipur).

It seems your stay at agra is for two nights. If so then there is no point going to fatehpur & then coming back for the second night.

What i would suggest is to cover fatehpur on the day you leave agra for Jaipur, & on the way you can cover Fathepur.

Other than Fathepur Sikri there are some more places nearby agra, which i have noted bellow.

01. Mathura ( 45minuts drive - religious place)

02. Dayalbagh Temple ( outskirts of Agra) - known for the garden & Temple

03. It-ma- udulla ( Also called baby Taj) - Outskirts of Agra

04 Bharatupur Bird Santury ( 1 hr drive from agra)

05.Sikandra ( Outskirts of Agra )

Please let me know if any further infomation would be helpful.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Agra

Wish I`d seen Sikandra. It looks really interesting and certainly worth a visit.

Fatehpur was great but a bit of a nightmare with very tenacious vendors. (The worst we saw in India}

Took a day trip to Chand Baori the stepwell at Abhenari and that was wonderful

If you`re driving to Jaipur it`s not far off the main road. Neither the tour guide (group tour) or driver had heard of it but with my knowledge gleaned from TA we found it. We figured they could corner the market now they`ve discovered it.

BTW the nice restaurant recommended wasn`t open although it may be just being renovated.

Thanks to all who helped me especially Tim.

desi abroad
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Agra

Hi, please could you expand on Chand Beori and Sikandra? We're flying out in August...need a good Delhi/Agra car and driver too!

Thanks!

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Agra

Deeg is another place of interest that is often overlooked...

http://tinyurl.com/yd9ohaj

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Agra

odditycentral.com/pics/the-amazing-well-of-c…

Finding it was a bit confusing. I didn`t know the difference between Sikandra and Sikandra Crossing, but I do now.

Deeg also appealed to me but being on a tour you don`t get much time, and a lot of it is taken up with demonstration/shopping opportunities which I find annoying. I didn`t come to India to shop!

No more tours for me!

Edited: 05 March 2010, 05:56
Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around Agra

Dear mangoqueenrules,

Here is more information on Abhaneri (Chand Baori) and Sikandra.

Abhaneri is a small town village, situated at a distance of 95 km from Jaipur, on Jaipur-Agra road. The place is popular for the amazing 'Baoris' (step wells) and Harshat Mata Temple. The village of Abhaneri is believed to be established by the King Raja Chand. Originally Abhaneri was named as Abha Nagri, which means the city of brightness, but due to mispronunciation of the term, it is changed to the present name.

In the present day, this city of brightness is in ruins; still it attracts tourists from across the globe. Abhaneri is prominent for 'Baoris', which are the unique invention of the natives for harvesting rain water. Amongst the other step wells, Chand Baori is the most popular one. This colossal step well is located in front of the Harshat Mata Temple. Chand Baori is one of India's deepest and largest step wells. The huge tank with delicate carvings is certainly delightful to the eyes.

Step wells are the unique concept of India. These big tanks were used as cool places of resort and water reservoir in parched days. It was a ritual to wash hands and feet before visiting the temple. Adjoining the Chand Baori, there is a temple, dedicated to Harshat Mata. This temple serves as the other tourist attraction of Abhaneri. Raised during the 10th century, the wrecks of the temple still boast of the architectural and sculptural styles of ancient India.

Harshat Mata is considered to be the goddess of joy and happiness. As per the beliefs, the goddess is always cheerful, who imparts her joy and happiness to the whole village. The temple is worth visiting for its amazing architecture and that too, which belongs to the medieval India. Abhaneri has a glorious past and this hoary magnetism of the place, attracts tourists to its threshold, from all over the world.

Source : rajasthantravelsguide.com/villages-in-rajast…

Sikandra

Sikandara, a historic town located 10 kms north of Agra is known as the place where the Mughal Emperor Akbar lies in his eternal rest. Popularly known as Akbar the Great, the Mughal Emperor ruled an empire that stretched across North India from 1556 A.D to 1605 A.D. Following the death of his father Humayun, Akbar came to the throne when he was just 13 - yrs- old, but his reign is considered the pinnacle of Mughal dynasty in India.

Today, Sikandra, the peaceful resting place of the Akbar, is a site that greets you to step back into history and get a glimpse of the eventful life and period of Akbar the Great. Built in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style, Akbar’s tomb has a towering arched gates, green lawns on which you can see grazing deers. Moreover, on the road from Sikandra to Agra, you can see numerous tombs and also two Kos minars ‘milestones’.

History of Sikandra

Historically, the name of Sikandra bears the memory of the Afghan general Sikandar Lodhi who occupied Agra in the year 1492 A.D. Sikandar Lodhi constructed a fort here and later a town grew up around it, which became known as Sikandra. He also built the Baradi Palace inside the mausoleum gardens but that is now a forgotten chapter of history.

Akbar’s Mausoleum

Akbar’s Mausoleum is the main attraction at the old town of Sikandra. Mughal Emperor Akbar himself started the construction of his tomb in 1605 but he died and his son Jehangir completed it in 1613 A.D. Situated in the centre of a large garden, Akbar’s mausoleum has four massive identical entrances leading to the tomb complex. Made of red and white sand stone, the four entrances were erected to represent the four essential religious creeds such as the Hindu, the Muslim, the Christian and the Universal, Deen-e-Elahi (preached by Akbar himself).

Enter through the Buland Darwaza, the towering main gate that opens on the southern side and leads you to the great garden enclosure. Move further, at the end of garden lies the four-storied, Akbar’s mausoleum, built after the pattern of the Panch Mahal of Fatehpur Sikri. The 100 ft high mausoleum has four minarets (towers) each containing a flight of 93 stairs. Akbar’s tomb is situated in the basement and there is a cenotaph chamber around 30 ft above it. The entrance of the tomb is beautifully decorated with marble inlay work, while the interior of the tomb’s dome is decorated with images of flowers, geometric designs and Islamic calligraphy. Akbar’s unique pyramidal tomb has an open terrace top contained within the massive panels of jail screens. You can see Allah-o-Akbar (God is Great) and the name of deities of 99 religious sects carved in the walls of the tomb. Close to Akbar’s tomb lies the tomb of Mariam Zamani, Jehangir’ mother.

Architecture of Akbar’s MausoleumAkbar's Mausoleum, Sikandra

Akbar’s Mausoleum is combination of Hindu and Muslim styles of architecture. Akbar was a great connoisseur of the arts and he was known for incorporating various architectural styles into the designs of his buildings. Actually, Akbar had a different architectural plan for his mausoleum but he could not finish the construction. Later, Jehangir finished the structure by using designs and methods not originally intended by Akbar, like he left out a crowning dome. Interestingly, some of the designing features of Akbar’s Mausoleum are similar to the design of the Taj Mahal built later by Shah Jahan in Agra.

Source: vacationsindia.com/uttar-pradesh/forts-monum…

Regarding Car and Driver......you can find references for several good car rental companies on Tripadvisor...... recommend you to take a guided tour which add a lot to you your visits to these magnificent places.

Happy Traveling......

Sunil

7. Re: Around Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 09:46