We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

HI,

we are planning to drive from Mysore to Ooty on 10th Aug 2013. How will be the road conditions - both for gudalur road as well as 36 hair-pin-bent road? Also, how is the rain in Ooty. Will it be raining heavily in Ooty? I am just worried we should not end up staying inside the room for 3 days? Is the coonnor train operatoinal during Monsoon? Please advise the other options as well. (We are driving all the way from Hyderabad and will prefer to visit Mysore as well). Thanks.

Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hi

August would be the fag end of the monsoon and it certainly would not be pouring all day long to keep you indoors. So, that is certainly not a show stopper.

However, it is tough to comment on the condition of the roads after the rains, for it actually depends on the amount of rainfall that ooty and the surroundings get during the next couple of months. The heavier the rains the larger the chances of damaged roads. So, you will really have to wait and watch on how the monsoon plays out over the next few weeks.

The same logic applies to the toy train as well. If the rains are less, you need not really worry about the suspension of train services. So, the bottom line: Watch the weather over the next few weeks and take a call.

regards

Rajan

Ooty, India
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hi

August month will not be so rainy, you can enjoy the nice climate in ooty, the road via gudalur may be damaged because of the monsoon but the ghat road will be fine. there wont be any problem reaching ooty safely.

Daniel

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hey Rajan and Daniel, thanks a lot. Appreciate your help !

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hey Rajan/Daniel, one more question:

I am planning to take toy train from Coonoor towards Metu (may be till Hilligrove) as I heard that route is more scenic. I will board a train at 3pm at Coonoor. Will I easily get taxi/bus to come back to Coonoor?

It Cnr--> Hillgrove sector really worth or the actual beauty starts after Hillgrove?

Going till Metuplm will be too much to come back. Please advise.

Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hi

If it is just the experience of riding that toy train then any sector is worth it. But you are right, the Coonoor to Mettupalayam sector is the one which is not just scenic, but offers variety, like Valley views, tea plantations, forest borders, tunnels, old scenic bridges etc.

I'm not sure of readily available taxi's in the hillgrove section, but maybe you can prebook it, or take a cab or bus from Coonoor to Hill grove and do a reverse train journey. . . .

regards

Rajan

Edited: 28 June 2013, 06:19
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hi Rajan,

can you please update me the rain conditions (and its effect if any) in Ooty and nearby area. My trip is scheduled next week !

Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Hi

It has been raining at Ooty (in fact a friend called in y/day from Ooty and said there were showers in the morning) but there are no reports of land slides or traffic disruptions. There are no met warnings of adverse weather conditions next week either. Though rain is predicted on a few days i guess it may rain in patches as it does now. So, overall, looks OK as of now. Some basic rainwear will be a good thing to take along . . .

regards

Rajan

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Thanks a lot Rajan

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
9. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

It is not raining heavily,I expect the weather would good by next week.If you are not experienced in driving dont take the kalhatty road instead of this you can through gudular.And also you can enjoy the greenery while driving through nadvattam.If you want spend more comfortable then i think you can take Greenview cottage for your stay.Need not worry about landslides.

Chennai, Tamil...
4 posts
10. Re: Is driving to Ooty (from Mysore) in Mid August Safe?

Please suggest whether my tour of 15 - 18 aug. for Ooty is safe???

Tour Plan

Day 15 morning probably 3.30 am from chennai to hogenakkal falls( advice more about the place)

Then after 2-3 hrs start for ooty through omalur, avinashi, annur, kotagiri, ooty....( suggest whether feasible in same day...) How safe about driving in rainy night through kotagiri...

Day 16 sight seeing in ooty...

Day 17 Starting 8 am for bandipur through gaundulur, going for safari and reaching mysore by afternoon..and rest day visiting mysore local places....

Day 18 Early morning starting for chennai...........

Please suggest whether hogenakkal is worth???

And should i go ooty after hogenakkal or mysore and return back chennai through ooty on 18th....

Hoping for prompt reply, since i am totally confused due to weather and this is my first time such a long journey and new to this road....

Regards,

Saurabh Srivastava