We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

Blr
3 posts
1 review
Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

I'm planning for a trip to ooty driving myself & my wife in indica DLS. Earlier to this i drove until Jungle lodges Bandipur from B'lore and felt quite comfortable and also drove Himavad gopalaswamy temple and didnt feel much strained.

I'm reading through several reviews about route to ooty from bangalore taking masinagudi or Gudalur. As people say masinagudi has 36 hairpin bends, is that too steep & difficult to drive? Is it one way to climb via masinagudi route? Any expert suggestions will help me.

Any info on best places to see in 2 days in ooty will be more useful.

cheers & have a lovely holiday vacation:)

MPR.

Bengaluru, India
6 posts
1. Re: Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

The hairpin bends are just a matter of apprehension and i personally think that its a very scenic and nice road to be driving on. You could very comfortably drive through these hairpin bends mostly toggling between the 2 and 3rd gears.

I would however suggest you to be more careful as you drive down from Ooty. I have done several trips on this road and have observed that my brake pads very easily overheat by the time i am halfway down. I would advice you to take a small break in-between and enjoy the view while you allow your brake pads to cool down and avoiding them from getting totally worn out.

I think it makes for a good drive that apart. I would also suggest you to explore the outskirts of Ooty if you want to get away from the commercial bustle. You could also choose to stop by Bandipur for a safari, on your way to Ooty or while you return.

Things to choose from in and around Ooty:

Kalhatty Falls - 15km before Ooty

Pykara Falls

Boating in the Pykara Lake

Pine Forest - Very often seen in many Movie scenes

Botanical garden and Rose Garden

Doddabetta Viewpoint

Avalanche Dam - a 20-25 km drive from the city

Emerald Lake - Emarald Blue water. On the way to Avalanche Dam.

Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

Hi

The first (and shortest) route would be Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangudu - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Masinagudi - Kalhatti - Ooty. The stretch between Masinagudi to Ooty (Via Kalhatty) is a steep drive (36 Hairpin bends over a 30 Km stretch) and a bit of careful driving on this stretch is needed, especially if you are new to ghat driving.

The second option is a slightly longer route from Bandipur - Gudalur - Naduvattam - Pykara - Ooty. Longer by atleast 40 Kms but the incline is not too steep. The road conditions are average.

As Godspeed666 has rightly pointed out, Brake pads/shoe heating is an issue to comprehend, more on the first route, only while you are coming downhill. You have no such issues while climbing up. In fact, if you are taking this route while coming down, there is a check post just past the bridge on the Kalhatty sector, where vehicles like Tempo Traveler etc are stopped for a brake pad heat check and if found to be warm, will be asked to pull over for half an hour before allowing them to proceed.

So, my suggestion would be to take this route (option 1 vial Kalhatty) on your way up to Ooty and take the second option (via Pykara, Gudualur) on the way down.

Having said that, do make sure that your car and tyres are in good condition for ghat roads.

regards

Rajan

Edited: 31 August 2011, 08:11
Blr
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

This is really helpful info, thanks friends.

Blr
3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

Thanks mate

5. Re: Self driving safe from bangalore to ooty???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:53