We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

3 posts
Driving

Hi we are planning to go to ooty by aug 3rd, are the roads are ok. i know its rainy season so am asking this question.is its safe driving now?

10 replies to this topic
Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Driving

Depends on where you are driving in from. For example, Roads are good on the Coimbatore - Coonoor - Ooty sectors, while not so good on the Gudalur sector and so on. . . .

Safety is not an issue, unless one in new to ghat driving. . . .

3 posts
2. Re: Driving

thank you, actually we are driving from Bangalore to ooty via mysore route, i just wanted to know are roads good or not now to drive.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 15:48
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Driving

hi

In Feb 2018 I traveled by car from Ooty to Bangalore (after halting a night in Bandipur), took masinagudi Bandipur gundulpet Mysore Bangalore route, road was in good condition

3 posts
4. Re: Driving

thankyou so much :)

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5. Re: Driving

Driving is fine in Ooty year-round, even for foreigners like me not used to Indian traffic! The roads around Ooty and most of the Nilgiris are pretty good between all the main towns.

The Bangalore--Mysore--Ooty route is really nice - you'll enjoy it. Do stop off in Mysore if you've not been there before as it's an interesting city.

The main issue will be the ghat road. Just take your time and don't rush it. Make sure you give way to trucks as they will cross lanes when going around the hairpins - give them the space.

Chennai, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Driving

Check this link for more info on driving up the ghats . . . . . .

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297679…

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Driving

Anyone recently drove to Ooty via Mysore-Bandipur-Masinagudi or Mysore-Bandipur-Gudalur?

Am planning to drive next week...how are the roads? Any chances of heavy rains, landslides, fallen trees during this time?

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Driving

Gudalur road is below par ? Do police allow us to drive towards Masinagudi en-route to Bandhipur ?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Driving

Based on posts in multiple forums...I understand we are not allowed to take Masinagudi on the way back from Ooty

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Driving

Seems rains are worsening.....

Reply to: Driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted