We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to avalanche

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Topic
visit to avalanche

Hi Guy,

I would like to visit avalanche along with my family, eventhough i was born and brought up in Coonoor i have never got a chance to visit this beautiful place, and the pics i saw on google has made me crazy about visiting this place, so i have planned for a happy weekend with my family after a long time away form home especially to visit avalancehe. So can anyone tell me more about this place and also help me by telling me how to get permission to visit the place...

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Maheswari Nanjunadan,

Welcome to Trip Advisor.

I bumped upon one travelogue which might be of some use to you. Check it out and I will try posting if I get further details..

team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/23050-trip-em…

Regards

Prasanna

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Prasanna,

Thank You for ur update, it was really helpful and i would like to have some more information as of where i should get the permission to visit avalanche lake.

Regards,

Maheswari

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Maheswari,

If I remember reading the info right,I don't think you require a permission to visit Avalanche Lake. Okie, let me also dig a little further into this and check with my friends in Ooty and revert. Will have the exact details posted tomorrow.

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 22 July 2011, 22:56
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Maheswari,

I have checked with the tourism, forest and the EB departments. To visit the Avalanche Lake area, you need to get the permission from the DFO office, near the District Collectrate. The contact number is 0423-2444083. In case, you need to visit the Kundah Power Generation facility, you need to take another permission from the Superintending Engineer's office at Kundah, contact number - 0423 2509225. These are the information gathered by contacting the respective offices by phone and you may verify them in person.

Have a great trip.

Regards

Prasanna

Bangalore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visit to avalanche

Thank You very much Mr. Prasanna, this will make my dream come true of visiting that heaven on earth. Thank you once again....

Regards,

Maheswari

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Maheswari,

Please don't mention and its my pleasure. Kindly do not forget to share your experiences with photographs and details with us in this forum, which will be helpful to a lot of travellers.

Cheers,

Prasanna

India
Level Contributor
390 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit to avalanche

If you have not already gone or if you have trouble in getting permission from the DFO [Nilgiris South] as per the numbers given by BVSPrasanna, just wanted to let you known that you can freely enjoy the Avalanche lake up to the forest check post at the Orchidarium and Trout Fishery.

It is only to go beyond this post that permission is necessary. There are plenty of lovely spots before the check post as well which you can enjoy. As I am sure you know, Avalanche and Emeralde lakes are the same water body divided by the bridge at Surukipalayam.

I have been and stayed at Avalanche many times. If you do get permission to go beyond the post, then do not restrict yourself to the lakeshore but take the inner short cut road going to Upper Bhavani. There is a diversion on this road which leads to the Bhavani lakeshore at the earthen dam side. It is called Lakkidi. This is a stunningly beautiful area, well worth spending time at.

You can also stay at the FRH and Wildlife dept. cottages at Avalanche if you want to explore the region better. Booking for the former is from the no. given by Prasanna.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi Snonymous,

Thanks for the update. It is really going to be helpful.

Regards

Prasanna

Coimbatore, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visit to avalanche

On 16 May 2012 we visited the Avalanche ooty in our car. As soon as we reach entrance we were ask to park our car and the forest ranger asked as to take up a government jeep run by natives. The charge was 1200 for one trip with 8 persons. We are not allowed to take any plastic bags as it is Eco tourism. Only 10 vehicles are allowed in a day inside the forest. You need not get prior permission from Wild Life Warden office Ooty. No food is available in Avalanche so get it at Emerald and reach the place before 12pm. The road inside the forest is very rough. Forest Guest House is available in Avalanche. A beautiful Scenic place with clear water and unpolluted. You can enjoy the beauty of it.

If you are lucky u can watch animals drinking water in the dam. Don't miss Emerald Lake & Dam. Where the movie "Deiva Thirumagan" was shot

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visit to avalanche

Hi

I was in avalanche with my family and I did not take forest department pass. Instead I gone to Ooty Aquarium and shown my interest to visit Avalanche Trout Farm. With their oral permission I visited trout farm in avalanche. In between forest officials stop us and made little gir gir and allowed us.

Road leading to avalanche is so scenic than the destination. We visited emerald and another dam en route.

But I will not recommend that way. Better to take pre permission from forest dept.

Regards

Get answers to your questions about Coonoor
Recent Conversations