We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

Namaste friends! I need some guidance with my intinerary please.

I am sooo sooo happy to be in India. I am in chennai currently, departing for vallore today 1/30/12 for a spiritual/volunteer journey to Sri narayani peedam in vellore with a group of friends. We finish our time in vellore on 2/8/12.

My flight home to US returns from chennai 2/11/12 at 0:15 am. So I have 8,9 10 days free. I would like to see Madurai and Thanjavur and prefer to fly/hire a driver and avoid the train with my giant (american style :)) suitcase and being a solo female traveler for these days.

Which city do I see first? Madurai or thanjavur? And what is the best/easiest way to travel between vellore/chennai> to madurai and thsnjavur?

I must return to chennai by evening of Friday, feb 10 to catch my flight home.

I see great reviews on the hotel ideal river in thanjavur and would like to stay there at least one night. And one night in Madurai.

I am so excited for these sites and look forward to your responses as soon as possible. :)

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

Hi

The distance between Vellore and Thanjavur is about 300 KMS by road and Madurai is a further 180 Kms from Thanjavur. Chennai is about 140 KMS away from Vellore. It's almost like Vellore - Thanjavur - Madurai on a sequencial straight line . . .

A couple of options cross my mind. . .

(1) You can get to Chennai from Vellore (Cab) and take a Flight to Madurai (in fact even an overnight train, though you are sckeptical about the huge suitcase - a porter will solve this issue). Hire a cab at Madurai, look around (this forum has some great details on Madurai and surrounding on earlier discussions), drive down to Thanjavur (189 Kms) do your Ideal Resorts stay, the temple visits and other, get to Trichy (60 Kms - 1 hour away) and fly out to Chennai.

(2) Take a cab from Vellore, drive out to Thanjavur (you will get to see Thiruvannamalai etc on the wy), look around, do the Ideal resort stay and drive out to Madurai. After you are done with Madurai, you can fly out to Chennai. However, the filp side here is, the drive is long, some of the stretches of roads are bad and the cost of the cab is going to be high, for you will end up paying for the return route as well.

Hope this helps

regards

Rajan

Edited: 30 January 2012, 07:07
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

Hi rajan! I like your first suggestion very much. I will stop and see the Sri Ramana Ashram In Thiruvannamalai!

I will be in vellore for 9 days, I am wondering if thiruvannamali is a comfortable day trip from vellore? If so, perhaps I will go earlier during my vellore stay.

I like the idea of two nights 2/8& 9 in thanjavur, leaving early morning of 2/10 for Madurai to see the minaski temple then catching a flight from madurai to chennai in order to make my 0:15 am flight home on 2/11 :). How do I find out which airlines service Madurai>chennai?

Warm regards, thank you for the information.

Erin

thanjavur to see the brahadeeswarar temple and spend a night or two.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

Hi Erin

You mean you like Option 2 (which is the one that gets you through Thiruvannamalai) . . . . . Vellore to Thiruvannamalai is about 80 KMS and takes about 1.5 hours on the road. So, you can do it on a day trip.

You have 3 airlines operating between Madurai & Chennai. Spciejet (www.spicejet.com), Jet airways (www.jetairways.com) and Air India (www.airindia.in). Pick a flight (like the Jet 9W-2728) which gets into Chennai by 17:30 hours and you should be fine for you connection home.

By the way, it is Meenakshi Amman Temple at Madurai . . .:-)

have a safe and wonderful holiday

Rajan

4. Re: 4 day itinerary - how should I transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 16:01