We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madurai to Periyar Sentuary then to Kelral houseboat and to

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Madurai to Periyar Sentuary then to Kelral houseboat and to

Need help with some details please:

1. How to go from Madurai to Periyar? How much will cost me/best option of transport?

2. Want to spend all day at Periyar Sanctuary; do they have morning and afternoon safaris?

3. Then want to go to Kerala and board houseboat for 1 night? What is a good base town for it? How long do I stay on the boat? Is it possible to board from one place and be left at another?

4. Drive to Cochin, 1 day there, next morning fly to Mumbai?

Need to feel the details with travel, hotel, and places to sleep? Single traveler, so have in mind. Thx

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madurai to Periyar Sentuary then to Kelral houseboat and to

Hi...

You need to reach Kumily to reach Periyar (Vandiperiyar). You may also refer it as Thekkady. The options would be either to hire a cab or do it by the transport corporation buses. From Madurai, you may take a direct bus to Kumily or change over at Theni. From Kumily, take a bus or a jeep to Thekkady. The following links would give a better idea,

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k2811…

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k9485…

periyartigerreserve.org/Periyar/index.htm

From Thekkady, you may look at going to Kottayam (Kumarakom)for your houseboat. You may also do a local ferry trip from Kottayam to Allepey, if you are interested. The following is a good review by a fellow traveler on his experience in a houseboat which might help,

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g678552-i12579-k424…

Hope these help.

Regards

Prasanna

2. Re: Madurai to Periyar Sentuary then to Kelral houseboat and to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 17:45