We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Mumbai
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi Friends,

I intend to tour North East in May 2013. Need guidance from people who have traveled to this part. My tentative itinerary (a little lazy and less adventurous) + questionnaire are are as follows

ITINERARY

1. 8 May 2013 : Reach Bagdogra Airport from Mumbai via Flight.

2. 9 May 2013 : Reach Pelling. Spend 2-3 nights in Pelling.

3. 12 May 2013 : Reach Lachen. Spend 2 nights in Lachen.

4. 14 May 2013 : Go to Lachung. Spend 2 nights in Lachung.

5. 15 May 2013 : Come down to Gangtok. Spend 4-5 nights in Gangtok. ( I am a club Mahindra member and intend to spend few nights in the CM resort).

6. 21 May 2013 : Travel from Gangtok to Pheuntsholing. Spend 1 night in Pheuntsholing.

7. 22 May 2013 : Travel from Pheuntsholing to Bhutan. Spend 6-7 nights in Bhutan.

8. 28 May 2013 : Travel back to Pheuntsholing. Spend a night in Pheuntsholing.

9. 29 May 2013 : Pheuntsholing to Bagdogra and back to Mumbai.

Questions

1. We will reach Bagdogra between 1:30 to 2:30 PM after an air journey of 4.5 hours. Should we continue road journey straight to Pellling or should we stay a night in Bagdogra or Siliguri and start the road journey next day early morning?

2. Unfortunately my son and I suffer from motion sickness. Will travelling after a light meal in afternoon lead to issues? Is the road all curvy and merry-go-round type? Not that we can change anything but pre warned - we can avoid meals.

3. Should we stop and stay at Darjeeling or has it lost its charm? Seeing Pelling / Lachung / Lachen / Gangtok will be great and we can we avoid Darjeeling?

4. I have heard of Neora Jungle Valley Camp. Any idea how it is? How far is it from Bagdogra? Should we spend 2 nights here?

5. Is the road journey from Pheuntsholing to Bhutan again very tough? Do we get SUV / MUV or only regular taxis?

6. Is it worth visiting Bhutan or should in this trip only see Sikkim?

Await your replies.

Thanks and Regards / Pinesh Mehta

Gangtok
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi,prines

yes your itinerary is ok but still if you want than i can make details itinerary for each day

and i reply some answer of your question if you want to know more i can help you

1.Ans=yes you can proceed to pelling because in pelling just to sleep.it will take 6-8 hrs drive. But better to stay in siliguri coz you have time in your hand.

2.Ans= you have to take care your self coz you know your better but the most of the roads are curved

3.Ans= you have lots of time in your hand in gangtok so why not you spend 2 night in Gangtok and see some places in Darjeeling.because Darjeeling have their own beautiness.

4.Ans=yes it is good idea to visit in kalimpong too Neora vally camp in kalimpong which is nice place.

5.Ans= Better you can take reserve taxi for your group only it helps you better. In And the road condition is better now in Bhutan.

6.Ans= Bettre to visit Bbhutan as well. Bhutan is nearby countery and thay have their own speciality and in Bhutan still you will find king system which is great.

Good luck

Sikkimsummit Tours & Travels

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
33,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi Pinesh

- Pelling takes 6 hrs from Bagdogra, drive in this route after sunset is not recommended.

- Most of the roads have several hair pin bends, you should consult doctor for pre-cautionery medication. Road condition of North Sikkim is worse than other part of Sikkim and the journey is tiring. So, considering your motion sickness, think twice before inclusion of Lachen, Lachung etc.

- Neora Valley Jungle Camp is near Kolakham in Darjeeling district, its a nice accommodation. About 2.5-3 hrs drive from Bagdogra.

- Phuntsholing is in Bhutan. Phuntsholing to Thimpu takes 9 hrs approx, the route is full of different bends. There are buses, tickects can be booked a day before. You should join a group for Bhutan tour in jaigaon (Phuntsholing), otherwise Govt Of Bhutan doesnt allow any tourist without group.

Bhutan is not worth, particularly for this itinerary.

AshisRoy

Edited: 09 November 2012, 09:03
Mumbai
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi Ashis Roy,

Thanks for the reply.

Any possibility to do a helicopter ride from Bagdogra to Pelling? Are there any private helicopter service providers? Any idea?

Thanks in advance for the efforts.

Regards

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
33,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Pinesh

There is no helicopter service in between Bagdogra and Pelling.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 12:48
Mumbai
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi Ashis,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think we will change our itinerary and land at Gangtok first using the Sikkim Govt Helicopter Journey.

Need your inputs in terms of :-

1. Any idea - is the helicopter service rides regular in the Month of May?

2. Are they safe?

3. How many days advance booking should we do?

4. Should we book thru agents of directly? Is there any govt website to book directly?

5. It also means we will have to stay in Bagdogra or Siliguir for a day as our flight will land at 2:00 PM and the helicopter take off is at 11:30. What would you recommend to stay for a night. Bagdogra or Siliguri?

Await your revert. Many thanks in advance.

Regards / Pinesh

Mumbai
Level Contributor
50 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Hi Ashis,

What if we break our road journey - to 2 to 3 hours - drive each time to avoid excessive motion sickness issue?

Example the 1st Journey would be Bagdogra to Neora Jungle Vally Camp.

The second journey after 2 days would be Neora Jungle Camp to Temi Tea Estate - Namchi. I assume this would be 3 hours from neora jungle camp? We intend to stay ar Cherry resort for 2 days.

The third would be from Temi Tea Esate to gangtok - which would be another 2-3 hours? We will stay in Gangtok Club Mahindra resort for 3-4 days.

From CM resort - we may or may not go to Lachen or Lachung.

The point is we can bear 2-3 hours but definitely not 6 hours or curvy journey.

Do you think this would solve to a certain extent or no?

Regards / Pinesh

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

The helicopter service is regular in summer months. Only 5 seats are there in each flight, it can be booked by local travel agent. There is a hotel within walking distance from Bagdogra airport, you may stay there overnight.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 15:34
Gangtok, India
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Dear Pinesh,

Hai Pinesh I am B.Namgyal Bhutia from Sikkim. Being a local I have been to all the places you have mention in your itinerary. I read your post and I am confused. You have to be very clear about your itinerary and taste, what is your interest what you want to see what is your expectation then only I can also help you. All the roads journey to Sikkim,Darjeeling and Bhutan the roads is full of twist and turn, Sikkim and Darjeeling roads are bumpy within Gangtok the capital also, the roads are not smooth is rough and bumpy. Bhutan really good roads fantastic, North Sikkim Last year earth quake and this year cloud burst made all roads really bad but tourist gets really happy and money worth paid when they reach Yumthang valley, Zero Point, lachen and Gurudhangmar heaven in earth. but the driving will be long average 6 to 7 hrs drive a day if you made your itinerary for 4 night 5 days to north then for 3 days 6 to 7 hrs and for 2 days 4 hrs drive. The choice is yours. If you could tell me you special interest and what you want to see how many days you have, then I can design you a itinerary as per your requirement. you can send me mail at gosikkim@gmail.com or you can visit www.sikkimexpedition.com

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

Sikkim123

Please refrain from giving your mail ID and website in this forum. Which is against TA regulations.

Edited: 12 November 2012, 21:10
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bagdogra to Pelling - Lachen - Lachung - Gangtok - Bhutan -

As an Indian citizen, you can travel without any visa-requirements to Bhutan.

Your permit will be given when entering Bhutan. You can either organise your trip with a local agent, or just hire a taxi to Thimphu. If you want to visit places outside the area of Thimphu and Paro, you'll get the permit in Thimphu.

You can get a good taste of Bhutan in 6-7 days. I suggest you to post your questions related to Bhutan on our forum, so more people can help you with their answers.