We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

Hi,

I am planning a trip to India end of this year and will be heading for Darjeeling. However, I am also interested in Gangtok. so can anyone advise me the distance between Gangtok and Darjeeling, in terms of travelling time and actual distance?

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

Mmm..I've never travelled from Darjeeling to Gangtok, always direct from Siliguri to either place. But it should be in the region of 4-5 hours. Provided you have a clear road. I do not know which time of the year you plan to come, so cannot advise you on the possibility of holdups due to landslides etc.

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

I am actually planning the trip for Dec and have only about 6 days in the area, hence the research.

I am hoping to make the trip and seeing the sights on my own without having to sign up with any of the fixed tour packages. is this possible?

my other question is, is it possible to get from gangtok to NJ train station? how far is it in terms of time?

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

I have planned a trip for early November and based on my research I can tell you that Gangtok to NJ station is about 5 hours by car.

except for Lachung you can travel without tour operator permits for Sikkim you can get for free in Darjeeling

From what I have seen on the www I would not want to miss Lachung and the valley and Pelling.

If you find an other interesting place let me know

success

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

FYI of any travellers, NJP Station and Bagdogra airport are both suburbs of the main town of Siliguri.

Its about a 3 hour journey from Siliguri to Darjeeling, and 5 hours from Siliguri to Gangtok. Although you might want to make a stop midway for lunch/tea which will increase the time taken proportionately.

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

Thanks for the help.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to catch a 13:05 train bound for Delhi if I leave Gangtok in the morning?

I also understand that the road conditions may not be ideal, so would you advise on this or should i head to the station a day earlier?

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

If you can start early morning, around 6.30-7 AM you should be fine. Anything later than 7.30 might cause you some stress, so make sure the car & driver you arrange is a reliable one. But I would leave in the morning too. No sense spending the night in Siliguri, not much to do there if you ask me.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

4 hours normally..

and a beautiful journey.

Abhi

West Lafayette...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

Thanks for the all the help.

Now all i need to do is to figure out a place to stay at darjeeling and gangtok as well as what to do/ see when i am there.

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

In Gangtok try the Nor Khil hotel. In Darjeeling you have a lot of choice. Try Mayfair for upper budget, or Cedar Inn, New Elgin for medium budget. At the lower end of the scale you could try Hotel Seven Seventeen.

10. Re: Distance between Darjeeling and Gangtok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 10:49