We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Durgapur, India
4 posts
Save Topic
Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi All,

Sikkim is a beautiful state in India. Its fast becoming a very popualar tourist destination, thanks to the exotic beauty it provides.....not only natural beauty, but the people too have beautiful hearts.!!!!

The most common destinations in Sikkim include Gangtok, Nathula pass,Ravangla,Pelling, and the Yumthang - Gurudongmar package. However, there are other locations in Sikkim , which are largely unexplored and have unparellal beauty.

Some of them are:

1. Singhik(North Sikkim)- For the wonderful view of Mt. Kanchenjunga. Govt. accomodation available.

2. Biksthang(West Sikkim)- Again, for the great Mt. K. A luxuru\ious resort provides a good accomodation.

3. Yangtey(West Sikkim)- Just 1 km from Geyzing, 10 km from pelling. Same view as Pelling minus the noise.

4. Tukla- A new destination on the way to Nathula pass, provides a greta view of Mt. Kanchenjunga.

5. Tsolamu lake(North Sikkim)- Beyond the Gurudongmar lake..the source of the Teesta.

6. Borong- Nestling among the shades of dense woods, provides good view of the Pandim peak.

7. Rinchenpong, Kaluk, Yuksom, Versey, Uttarey are also few other places, which offers magnificient & excellent views of the Himalayas.

These are few 'yet to be explored' destinations I know.

NOTE: The above paragraph has been partially taken taken from another forum(written by Sagarneel) & I have slightly modified the same to provide you the information about Sikkim!

Regards

Solitary Reaper

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
772 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Solitary Reaper,

Thanks for the info. For the benefit of other readers, will it be possible for you to kindly provide any other details viz. accomodation availability / communication etc for the various places that you have mentioned ?

For example the hotel that you have referred to in Biksthang is the Bliss Resort, where I had stayed a couple of years ago -- and it was expensive, but worth every penny.

Simliarly, for Versey, the only form of accomodation available is the Trekkers Hut, which is named as Guras Kunj - this has a couple of bedrooms and maybe 2 large dormitories as accomodation.

It would be nice if some others can add to this list - so as to make it pretty exhaustive !!!

valsad
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Thanks for excellent guidence.could u suggest any car driver for all these places then we will be more obliged. please inform on madhud6@yahoo.com

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
772 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Madhu,

I think I have the contact number of the driver who took us around the place -- however Iam not sure if he is still in the same business -- but no harm in checking.

Iam presently on a tour to Yellowstone National Park -- and will return home in a couple of days -- after which I will try to retrieve the tel number.

However, as a general guideline, the taxi association has its office just at the exitof the NJP station -- and you can hire vehicles from there.

Best Regards,

Deb

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Madhu,

We just returned from pelling, yuksom, gangtok. Driver Suraj from sudarshan tours and travels is very good.Office in pelling near SBI.

mumbai
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Solitary Reaper,

Where you have mentioned the package- The most common destinations in Sikkim include Gangtok, Nathula pass,Ravangla,Pelling, and the Yumthang - Gurudongmar package.How to book this package if there is any particular package is there or after reaching Gangtok/Siliguri we have to plan this route?We also want to visit Biksthang.How many days it will need?

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
772 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Kuhu,

Most of the places that you have mentioned in your post, can be travelled individually i.e. without going for a package. Theere is plenty of information available already in the various earlier posts on Tripadvisor about communication / fooding / lodging in these places. The disadvantage of going for a package tour is that first you end up paying higher and more importantly, your freedom/flexibility is somewhat curtailed since your itinary is fixed.

The only places that you would need a package tour is for a visit to Gurudongmar and Yumthang, for which you will have to select atleast a 2N +3D package tour. For that you might arrive at Gangtok and then do the bookings - advance booking is not essential except for the peak tourist seasons.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Hi Solitary Reaper,

I'm intending to travel from Mumbai to Sikkim in april 2010. My partner and i have never been to india, this is our very first trip, not knowing what to expect in india; and hence would really appreciate if you can provide some info for us to Sikkim - we'll only be arriving sikkim between end may-early june. Is this still consider a gd time to travel to sikkim? Will it be cold? Any idea what will the temperature be?

Basically we love the peaceful, calm and beautiful nature, hence we chose to go to sikkim. I've been reading up on sikkim quite a far bit, but i'm still not too sure how we shld go about to experience all the best in Sikkim during our 12days in sikkim. I've read though your replies to the others abt sikkim, but i would like to know upon arriving in Gangtok, how shld we go about to start our traveling? Or do you suggest that we shld stay over 1night in Gangtok, explore ard, familairize the place, then only to start travel away?

Are the bus stands/travel agencies/jeep stands easy to identify as we would like to do most of the tours on our own (is tis possible?) and spend minmum.

Would really appreciate if you, or any one who come across this thread, can provide any info. Thank you so much

Best Regards

Kolkata
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

Any contact of Guras Kunj?

9. Re: Offbeat Places in Sikkim!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 11:49