We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

We are planning to travel from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer by car in December, stopping at Osiyan and Khichan. Can this be done in a single day? Any thoughts on the ride? We are hoping to catch the cranes in the evening in Khichan.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

The distance from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer is approx 300 kms and as per local driving conditions if you are travelling directly on this route it may take 4-6 hrs depending upon the Road & Traffic conditions.

Osiyan comes first at 65 km and Khichan are about 135 km from Jodhpur. So here is my estimation and you can plan accordingly.

Once you start from Jodhpur Osiyan can be reached in max. 90 minutes. From Osiyan to Khichan may take another max. 90 minutes. From Khichan add max another 3 hrs to reach Jaisalmer.

Please note that i have provided the max journey timings above.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

I think this is post 1000 and I wanted to post on the India TA eventhough I am a regular on the Paris TA.

My experience with driving in Rajasthan is that we were going 40 kms an hour as a rule. Roads are narrow, you have to pull over for camels or large shipments coming your way.

Jodhpur was my favorite city in Rajasthan even though I spent more time in Jaipur and Jaisalmer is so remote and wonderful, a close second.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

Suggest you stay at Phalodi for the night if youre planning to be in Khichan till sunset. Itll be too late to drive all the way to Jaisalmer. Try the Lal Niwas at Phalodi.

Boston...
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

Thanks for all your comments. Another question on Khichan: Do we need to wait till evening to see the cranes? We are still hoping to get to Jaisalmer by night.

5. Re: Road trip from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 19:50