We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

Hello!

Planning my trip to India (end Nov 09) and as i really really like to shop, markets etc i wonder if you can tell me what type of things i can expect to see/buy in Jaisalmer. I suppose what i'm getting at is what is Jaisalmer famous for, like is it silver, leather, woven things, blankets, quilts etc.

Look forward to hearing about your favourite shopping tips and things you've bought in Jaisalmer!

Ta :)

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

Embroidered leather items are a big thing in Jaisalmer..there are hats, bags, pen holders..you name it and they have it.

Embroidery is a big form of alternate income so apart from leather youlll find it on textiles as bed covers, wall hangings etc

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

Hello

The best in Jaisalmer is things made by leathers and the embroidery worked bed sheets or bed cover, Barmer prints bed sheets, wall hangings , table or cousin cover .(this things you cat also in jodhpur or jaipur too )

You can have sweat from Dhanraj sweats, jaisalmer famous gotoowa.

Don’t miss to have lassi at Kanchan shree.

Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

thanks for your responses! i am bad, i love shopping and usually end up having to buy an extra bad at the end of the trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

The bhang lassi shop seems to get a lot of custom... not that I'd know from first-hand experience, of course!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

Buy yourself an embroidered long swirly skirt if you can find one. It works great with a black sphagetti top and silver jewellery. The great thing about traditional Rajasthani skirts is that they have a lot of fabric and I have one that fits snugly at the waist and then flares out. The waist is a drawstring, and the string has little silver bells at the end. I love the sound as I walk.

I wonder if you'll chance upon backless embroidered cholis - very dramatic! Works well with jeans. Some photos here...the thing to note is that irrespective of the shape in the photo, when you wear it, it somehow transforms into something amazingly sexy.

http://www.nomadicpassions.com/choli.html

- Deepa

6. Re: Shopping in Jaisalmer - what's to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 10:47