We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
18 helpful votes
Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

We are on a 10 day tour of Rajasthan in November. Our plan is to hire a car (and driver) from Udaipur at 8 am and travel to Jodhpur via Kumbhalgarh fort then Ranakpur temple, and onwards to Jodhpur. Seeing this on the map, it seems that the fort and the temple are on a forked road.

1) Is this a feasible itinerary?

2) Is it generally OK/safe to leave luggage in the car when parked (for sightseeing) at the fort or temple? Ideally, how much time should I allocate for sightseeing at these locations?

3) Can you recommend any other places of interest on this route?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
14 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

1.) It is feasible if you don't mind a long hectic day.

2.) It is perfectly safe to leave your bag in the car but car should be from a reliable taxi/tour operator and you must have their contact details in hand.

3.) I think this is more than enough for a day.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
283 reviews
344 helpful votes
2. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Hello, I just did this day trip last month. Just in the opposite direction, from Jodhpur in the morning, Ranakpur Temple, Kumbhalgargh Fort and then arriving in Udaipur. Yes, it is perfectly safe to leave your luggage and belongings in your car. Your driver stays with the car the entire time. It is up to you how long you stay at each place, but I would give the temple at least 1 hour and for the Fort, it really depends if you are going to walk to the top....we did...and we stopped to take pictures, there were a few monkeys about, had a cold drink etc, it was about 90 -120 minutes I think? It is a full day itinerary, I wouldn't fill it with much more than a food/bathroom break. There are some nice photo ops on the way of rural village life if you are a photographer.

Hope that helps.

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Thanks Virsa and Salsajo! I didn't think we could fit in more than the fort and temple during the day. Was just wondering if there was any other place/village on the way which was worthwhile just visiting for half hour or so. Salsajo, could you please PM me the contacts of the taxi/car rental company you used from Jodhpur? Think, it would be a bit cheaper if one booked a Jodhpur-based taxi at Udaipur (since he would be making a return trip).

West Yorks, UK
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
58 reviews
69 helpful votes
4. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Hi Tobyinuk.

I think you might have to pay for the driver to come from Jodhpur to get you. Effectively you're still paying for both legs of the journey. It might seem like a lot to fork out for, but since there's no trains, you just have to think about all the positives of the car journey (ie stopping at the above mentioned places.)

Get some quotes from tour operators for your trip here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g297672-Activities-c42-Udaipur_Rajasthan.html

All the best

Spud

Edited: 4 years ago
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

You have good itinerary route of you started at 07h30 or 8 hrs, because udaipur to kumbhalgarh is 2hrs 80 km driving, it's take 2hrs to visit and 40 minutes to reach kumbhalgarh to ranakpur, also temple is open at 12hrs for visitors. If you want reliable driver then don't look cheaper price, because if you have good services then they expect both sides rental as well. So hire a reliable driver for this route for safety also. Rest of doable as per your requirement.

Thanks

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
712 posts
45 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Hi

Your travel plan is a regular travel plan. Nothing to worry about it.

It is perfectly safe to keep your luggage with car. It is again the same things which all the tourist used to do.

Hire your car from a reliable travel agency.

Time management will depend on you, better to consult with your driver and manage your time at each monument. If you spend more time, you will arrive late in Jodhpur.

Generally an hour or so is an ideal time.

To hire car and driver better to compare price with different travel agencies and then finally make your decision.

With regards

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Thanks for your suggestions and advice, Spud UK, Rakesh Yadav, and Indiaviajeencoche

Caulfield North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

We are thinking of doing a similar trip but stopping overnight in Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur area.

Is there enough to see or are we better to just stop on the drive through?

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
712 posts
45 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Hi Winterose

I would recommend you to make your night stay at Rawla Narlai, before reaching you can comfortably enjoy your visit to Kumhalgarh and Ranakpur Jain Temple.

Narlai is totally a different venue and I am sure you will have wonderful time there.

Here you can feel, enjoy and explore real Rajasthan, its people and their culture and tradition.

With best regards for your trip.

Caulfield North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
44 helpful votes
10. Re: Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur by road?
Save

Thank you, indiaviajeencoche, the hotel looks lovely and Narlai seems to be right at the 1/2 way point between Jodhpur and Udaipur

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.