We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Alameda, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

I am trying to decide whether I should spend three weeks in Madhya Pradesh in December and visit Kanha & Bandhavgarth National parks or go north to Corbett National Park and Pangot. India is so big and there is so much to see, that I feel I should focus on one area. I would like to fit in some cultural trips but feel almost every area has cultural attractions. Yet I am not sure if some areas are better for cultural attractions than others. The travel agents continue to recommend going over to Udaipur and Bikaner, but they put you in a vehicle every day, so much of the time is on the road. We have traveled to Africa, Australia, South and Central American jungles and forests but we also enjoyed the culture in Europe. So I am open to all comments. Thanks.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Hi,

I would recommend mixing someother places with Madhya pradesh so as to get the best out of the trip and keeping it relaxed and exciting.

I would recommend the below :

bom - nagpur - kanha - bhandavgarh- khajurao - agra - jaipur - jodhpur - jaiselmer - udaipur - delhi - back hom.

best regards

Saurabh Mahajan

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
36,501 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Since you arethinking of a cultural trip. I would recommend Varanasi, Agra, Jodhpur and Ranthambore. You will get to see different cultures of India altogether and as you mentioned the National Parks, I recommend Ranthambore, which comes within the circuit. You dont have to travel much in this route.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 13:13
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

After a few days the place may not have anything left to see and you have three weeks, you can do much more without hitting road everyday. By the way, the best way to experience India is train. Another point to ponder, culture varies widely from one part to another, so just visiting one zone will not be adequate for cultural experience.

What I suggest is:

Delhi 2 days>Jaipur 2 days>Agra 2 days>Orchha 2 days (train)>Bandhavgarh 3 days>Khajuraho 2 days(fly/train)>Varanasi 2 days>Delhi

+

Delhi>Laddakh>Delhi (one week)

or

One week of solitude in Kerala

Vivek

Vivek

Edited: 09 April 2011, 21:16
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

When are you visiting India? The weather is a big influence - are you a serious wild life enthusiast or a casual one? If your goal is tigers, then the best season for sighting is actually summer (April to June), and the two parks in Madhya Pradesh are your best bet. They offer the best chances even in winter. If it is birding that interests you, then winter (Nov - Feb/Mar) is excellent.

The good news is that three weeks is a lot of time; and you can quite easily get a mix of culture and wildlife and a couple of big Indian cities in that period of time.

madhya pradesh
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

One trip suggestion for 3 weeks :

Delhi- Nagpur - Pench National Park (2N) - Kanha National Park (3N) - Bandhavgarh National Park (3N) - Khajuraho (2N) - Varanasi (2N) - Agra (2N) - Jaipur (2N) - Jaisalmer (2N) - Jodhpur (2N) - Delhi

As you are planning to travel in the month of Nov - Dec 2011, better to make it well in advance as this is peak tourist season in India.

Above tour plan will give you the blend of Wildlife and Culture.

Regards

Akash Panchbudhe

Alameda, California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Thank you for the information you provided. It was most helpful.

Barbara

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

One of my friend came back from the very disappointing tiger safari at Jim Corbett ,she did app seven safaris ,but not even to spot a single tiger.

I recommend you Bandhav Garh ,still the best national park for tigers.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Many people will suggest you head to Rajasthan, because that is the main tourist circuit, but there is also much to see and enjoy in Madhya Pradesh. Rajashtan has much to offer, but it can be too many forts and palaces, if you're not careful.

We have enjoyed both places and I wouldn't choose one over the other, but you will certainly be more off the tourist trail in Madhya Pradesh and I would say in some ways there is more variety.

How about this as a suggestion. Fly in and out of Delhi. Then Agra (one day is enough for the sights) - Gwalior (Fascinating fort and Jain artefacts) - Orchha (a quiet magical place) - Khajuraho (amazing Hindu temples (and some Jain ones too) - then Bhandhavgarh followed by Kanha. The parks are very different and if you have time it is worth visiting both, but if I had to choose one it would definitely be Kanha although wildlife is more difficult to see here. You could then head over to Bhopal via the hill station at Panchmari (Bhopal has prehistoric cave paintings and a fine Buddist site at Sanchi), or you could instead head over to Varanasi, which I haven't visited yet so can't comment on, but its reputation goes before it.

Alameda, California
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

Thank you for your recommendations. Your advice was very helpful.

Barbara

10. Re: Kanha, Bandhavgarth, or Corbett National Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 07:49