We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala Safety

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
Kerala Safety
Save

Hi, Husband and I have a trip planned for Kerala in September visiting Fort Cochin, Varkala and Munnar. We are both in our late 50's and have travelled throughout http://S.E.Asia on many trips taking on board the usual warnings etc.( so are reasonably seasoned travellers )but this time around decided to experience a different culture, but with the recent increase of attacks on female foreign tourists including a married couple in some parts of India (admittedly much younger women than me) I must admit the excitement of a new destination is being overshadowed by a bit of uneasiness, not paranoid just a bit concerned. Anyone's experience on the feeling of "personal safety" in Kerala would be appreciated.

Kerala
Level Contributor
8,100 posts
1. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Dear Dianne W,

As seasoned travellers and sticking to the basics , i would say that you wouldn't have any personal safety problems in Kerala.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
689 reviews
1,133 helpful votes
2. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi dianne..

You no need to worry..kerala is totally safe for a travelers like you. As per age and travel concern you are much experienced person to handle situations in foreign..

Only follow some safety rules which is applicable to almost every country..like, never roam late evening or night alone or without any trustful guide..never hire taxi by your own until and unless you are much aware of the place where you wanted to go or the best way is always take a pre-book taxi, wether booked by your hotel management or travel agent..keep guide which your hotel or agent recommend..keep open your senses always..and have safe journey.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi, thank you for reply, the reassurance is welcome and I'm sure we'll enjoy our trip to Kerala, regards Dianne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi Lalbahadur, thanks for your reply that on the whole Kerala is pretty safe and just follow usual precautions, now looking forward to a great trip, regards Dianne

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi Dianne,

As any other place in the world you can expect the odd pickpockets and conmen. Just try to avoid shady people. Most people are friendly and will go out of their way to help but after 8 PM I would reject any help from strangers. Another good thing is that if anything funny happens, rest assured unlike other places in the world, the locals will side with the tourists rather than their own people.

Register with the nearest police station as per the guidelines.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
11 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hello Dianne,

Please see some safety tips:-

Hire rickshaw/taxi from pre-paid counters wherever possible.

For Police help dial 100 from your mobile any time.

Women Helpline Number of Kerala Police : +91 9995 399 953.

Highway Police Help Line: +91 9846 100 100

Railway Alert: +91 9846 200 100

Its better to avoid roaming around alone in late night hours.

This link might be helpful to you: http://www.keralatourism.org/things-to-note.php

Warm welcome to God's Own Country-Kerala

Cheers,

Sreejith PC

Team Experience Kerala

Fethiye, Turkiye
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi Dianne

I am 51 and have frequently visited Kerala for work on my own. I have never experienced any problems getting around during the day and have frequently used auto rickshaws etc. The people are all really friendly and most can understand basic English which makes things easier. Kerala is really beautiful and I have many happy memories from my time there. If you are aiming to travel around then hiring a driver and car makes sense and also gives you a sense of safety. If you need any more information let me know

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Thanks arun your tips along with the other reply's have eased any concerns and are now really looking forward to our Indian venture.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi Streejith, the phone numbers will be good to put in our mobiles especially the train alert number as we will be making a couple of train trips and I will also check out the web link, kind regards for that info

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
62 reviews
39 helpful votes
10. Re: Kerala Safety
Save

Hi Jacst the car and driver sounds a good idea we might take up but will also use the auto rickshaws. Just to get feedback from travellers who have experienced Kerala is great as sometimes you can over-react to media reports and the response from TA has been really positive