We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The town of Mahe

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
The town of Mahe

Hi All,

Someone mentionned to me recently the town of Mahe. It is part of the Union Territory of Pondicherry but it is located in northern Kerala. I would love to know more about it and see if I want to include a visit to Mahe in my Kerala trip itinerary next month. I am having a hard time finding any information on the Internet and ther's no mention of it in the Lonely Planet guide.

Anyone knows about Mahe? What is the best way to reach it? What to fo there? Where to stay?

Please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance!

Queensland
Level Contributor
83 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The town of Mahe

Its too late now, as I see you have departed already,but I could tell you heaps about Mahe,Pondicherry as we just got back fropm there, ,and your right, no one has any info on this quaint little union Territory on the West coast.

I have tried to list the hotel and do a review, but Trip advisor wont let me list it.

Thats weird for a site thats supposed to be informative,and especially since its a fairly unknown destination.

Maybe thats for the better,it will keep the tourist masses out of the area.

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi,

Its already tooooo late.

for those plan to visit Mahe,

There is a stop at Mahe (Manglore - Trivandrum express ).

It was a french colony, shore of Mayazi river.

Talicherry also near by Railway station.

Regards,

Keralamguide.

Queensland
Level Contributor
83 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The town of Mahe

Hey keralamguide

Doesnt matter about the train going there, no one has a clue about the place, where it is,or more so,what is there,so why would they attempt to go there?

Strange that trip advisor will not accept a hotel review I have for Mahe???????

No wonder no one knows anything about the place.

By the way,the Mahe station is not the best station to get there in a hurry, even thought we arrived at that station via slow "chair" class from Cochin.

For foreigners, I would not recommend "Chair class" on a busy crowded sector.

Much faster to pick up the real fast express trains that stop at the next main station north, which is Thalassery, in Kerala its just a short car or taxi ride to Mahe town.

Likewise if heading north from Mahe to say Goa , as we did, or Mangalore or Mumbai, use the station at Thalassery , not Mahe railway station to pick up the faster trains.

You should be able to confirm all this by contacting the Mahe Railway passengers Association at mahe.railway@gmail.com as I have their time table in front of me.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi n0mad4u,

Surprising to read that the review was not accepted. May we know the reason given. If there is no listing of the property, you may key in a listing request. Many properties which weren't listed here, have got listed in a couple of days after the request is sent.

Regards

Prasanna

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The town of Mahe

There are stills so many unknown gems in North kerala. It is better that they remain un knowm because, Kerala Tourism can do nothing on sustainable tourism.

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi

In my childhood I read a great malayalam story book by M.Mukundan,

In the shore of Mayyazi river ( Mayyazippuzayude theerngalil). The story based on those people of Mahi related to the french culture. with french name, all eyes are waiting for the ship which come again to visit those people. I forgot those french name, I think M Mukundan is working in French embassy. It was his master piece. After so many years as a marketing person I went to North Malabar, one day I visited that gr8 place. So many liqueur shops are balance. People crossing the bridge for purchasing tax free liquor. The church and river mayyazi are still there with old t generation, still in the memory of old French Union.

I like to visit this gr8 place again.

Queensland
Level Contributor
83 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi Prasanna

Here is the email below that I got back from Tripadvisor after reviewing the hotel we stayed at in Mahe, pondicherry.

One of the main problems,if you try to do a mahe pondicherry/puducherry hotel review, trip advisor do nor reconise the destination, they say its not in their database???

What!!!!

The mail is below that I got back.

Im confused??

What do they expect me to do,spend the rest of my life trying to list it!!

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this property to TripAdvisor. We're sorry, but we weren't able to post this listing as it does not meet our listing criteria. For more information on what you can review please go to our help center. www.tripadvisor.com/help/what_you_can_review

You're welcome to post information regarding this property on the TripAdvisor Forums (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome). Forums are discussion boards in which members ask and answer as many travel-related questions as they like, share opinions and get travel help from fellow members.

We look forward to seeing your contribution to our community.

Best regards,

TripAdvisor Support Team

Queensland
Level Contributor
83 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi Keralamguide

Its a quaint town 4 sure Mahe, and yes its much more original and untouched and non commercial than Pondicherry, East coast.

I agree the tax free liquor shops, must be every second shop is a liquor store there, its a consumers paradise, and best of all the liquor shops are bright clean and well stocked with Indian made and International spirits,a pleasure to shop at after the grotty dark, poorly stocked government operated wine shops of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

Being one to imbibe myself, I was sitting in a bar right on the river at the bridge in Mahe,a pleasant old 2 story building with a great view from upstairs,and was quite amused to see and hear the Mosque no more than a bottle throw across the river on the Kerala side just over the bridge calling out their message I imagine to the lost and dammed alcohol consuming residents of Mahe,and I dare say to some of their own lost souls that fell to the temptation.

Ill drink to that !

I mentioned to a few of the business people while I was there that it could become an interesting new destination for foreign tourists if they put in a few more decent hotels or guest houses, places to eat,and importantly cleaned up the beach.

And of course advertise the Town.

Dont think it will happen though.

At least the police can be seen wearing the typical french type gendarme hat,very colourfull.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The town of Mahe

Hi n0mad4u,

Which is the property you wanted to be listed in Mahe? I have also sent a request to TA staff for listing Mahe destination. Think it should happen in a couple of days. Once that happens, I think we would not have an issue. Will keep this thread updated on the status.

Regards

Prasanna

Coimbatore, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The town of Mahe

how many quantity of liquor can a nomal person bring from mahe to other states