We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

Bhubaneswar
7 posts
Save Topic
Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

Hi All,

My parents will visit kerala. I am planning to include a half day backwater trip from Cochin as organised by KTDC and skip Alleppey/Kottayam backwaters. Would that be a good decision?I mean, are the scenary going to be as serene as alleppey, i am not bothered about having a whole bed room allocation as long as the trip is comfortable and scenic enough.Please suggest.

Regards

niladri

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

Allepey/Kottayam backwaters are more catered towards houseboat tours and have much more natural beauty with calmer waters and also better fauna. There is a bird sanctuary closer to Kottayam/Kumarakom area.

Cochin's backwaters on the other hand are much more narrower and people take regular boats instead of the larger houseboats. However, you can also find houseboats here.

So in short, if you are looking for the houseboat + backwater experience, do Allepey/Kottayam. And may I suggest a half-day houseboat which will relax and re-energize your folks. But if it is just for the backwaters, then Cochin would suffice.

Best Regards,

-- James

Kottayam Vacation Rentals - www.lotusflats.com

Kerala
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

Hi Niladri,

If the objective of the trip is to find Kerala backwaters, I guess you should consider Alleppey/Kumarakom stretch of houseboats. Cochin has a boat jetty with ferry boats plying to different locations - but hugely different in the experience.

In my experience, any one visiting Kerala for its nature, shouldnt miss houseboats in Kumarakom/Alleppey. May be if time and budget permits, you may as well include Munnar also into the itinerary.

Regards,

Crishna

3. Re: Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2010, 23:35
4. Re: Cochin backwater vs. Allepey/Kottayam backwaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 10:45