We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Forex card

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Forex card

Hey all,

I am traveling to Mauritius and i am in a fix to carry a forex travel card or cash from India? which is the best way?

If its a travel card, which is the best card to opt - main requirments for the card are low charges, good customer care and wide acceptance.

Thanks.

//vamsi

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Forex card

Vamsi,

Travel forex cards are available only in certain major currencies like USD, Euros, GBP, AUD etc. You will not get a forex card for Mauritian currency (Mauritian rupees). I have tried using this method for a few countries, but, have realised that I have to get the card in one of the main currencies only. Say, you buy a USD card & use it in Mauritius, you will be affected by currency conversion rates twice (INR to USD and USD to Mauritian rupee). Also, the bank that issues the card has charges per transaction (depends on the bank). If you want to try the card, HDFC seemed to have a hassle-free procedure for getting one. Any Visa / Master / Maestro card will work well.

I never carry cash. Again, you can't purchase Mauritian rupees here. So you might end up with converting currency twice. Not to mention the risks involved in carrying huge amounts of cash. I always buy a little USD or Euros to use while travelling and withdraw money once I reach my destination, using my debit card, in the local currency. I've noticed that banks have a fixed amount as charges for withdrawal so if you withdraw large amounts as & when you need it, this works out quite economical.

Talk to your bank & see what their rules are. But, in this case, you should not forget to inform your bank about the fact that you are travelling outside India (before you leave) and will be using your card. Else, they might suspect misuse of card & block its use. Also, verify if the country you are visiting has the same length of pin that we have (4 digits). Otherwise you may be stranded as you will not be able to use your card.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Forex card

Thanks for the reply buddy. I thought of taking a travel card, now as per your mail i will try to take my debt card itself and withdraw the money when needed.

Thanks again for the reply.

3. Re: Travel Forex card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 14:47
Get answers to your questions about Bengaluru