We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury trains of India

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury trains of India

Anybody taken the Golden Chariot from Bangalore

How are the tours and the food on the train.

Kent
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury trains of India

We did the Splendor of the South tour in January. We chose this tour because we wanted to have a week at the Marari Beach Resort afterwards so we left a day early when the train arived in Cochin. First things first, you meet at the Taj West End Hotel in Bangalore, this is a lovely hotel and worth ariving a couple of days earlier to enjoy.

The train is just as the pictures, we loved it, but we love India anyway. The food is excellent, you get a choice of Indian or International and we always went for the Indian, so I suppose we can't comment on the International. We didn't hear any moans anyway. Service was superb in both the restaurant and cabin.

It was spotless

There were only 13 of us on the trip, so we rattled around a bit on the train but that meant we bonded as a group, one of the highlights really as we were a truly international group.

The tours were fine but a bit grueling, we were out every day at 8.30 and normally not back until the evening, so really it was a series of coach trips returning to the train each evening. A couple of days we toured in the morning and went to a hotel for lunch and then spent the afternoon around the pool.

I had heard that alcohol was expensive, but it was no more than any other decent hotel in India.

Did we enjoy it - yes

Would we do another one - yes

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury trains of India

Thanks for the info and we are booked on the Golden Chariot

What kind of dress did people wear for meals? Was it very casual or better dressed ?

Kent
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury trains of India

Hope you enjoy it. The dress was informal, no pretentions

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
970 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury trains of India

How did you book the train? We're going next year and think this would be interesting.

Thanks.

Jane

Kent
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury trains of India

I tried very hard to find somewhere who discounted it but without much luck. We combined it with a stay at the Marari Beach Resort near Kochi so in the end I priced it myself and then got a price from The Kerala Travel Centre, which after a bit of negotiation I got down to within about £80 from the do it your self price. I thought £80 was well worth the peace of mind so I booked it through them. Some of the others in the group booked through Kuoni but they paid a lot more than me.They flew to Deli and then got an interconnecting flight down to Bangalor, but the timings were difficult. I booked the international flights myself via the Gulf with Qata Airways, fying in to Bangalor and then retuning from Kochi - recomended. Oman Air are doing some very good prices at the moment.

We booked a day room at the Taj West End Bangalor, but it is a lovely hotel and worth a couple of days at least

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
970 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury trains of India

Thanks for your prompt response!

7. Re: Luxury trains of India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:11
Get answers to your questions about Bengaluru