We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

I am flying into Bangalore on a Sunday and flying out on a Saturday - with a wedding on the Wednesday/Thursday - so am looking for a 3 day trip somewhere.

We aren't really into sightseeing/history - would just prefer a bit of relaxing on a beach and some shopping - but not too far from Bangalore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

The nearest beach to Bangalore is at least 300 kms away. There are nice river fronts and resorts much closer to Bangalore (visit junglelodges.com)

However, if you do prefer a beach, the west coast is a better bet where you can Mangalore or if you are willing to travel a bit more farther - to Kerala. Mysore and Bangalore are the places you can do most shopping.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

Depends on what kind of shopping your into, However, B'lore has quite an extensive selection as its more westernised and not more defined at the other cities/states would be. Goa, would be a nice place to chill out at the beach, its one of the hot spots for beach lovers, its been ages since I've been there, I think its about a couple of hours flight out of Bangalore though.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

I agree with Sriniketana.....think you should try out some river-side places by Jungle lodges. But, I don't think the the options of travelling to Kerala & Mangalore works right now. The monsoons are here & so the entire west coast of India receives rainfall, so beaches there are totally ruled out. About goa, not sure if the rains have begun there.

For beaches now, you would have to head to the east coast. I would suggest Pondicherry (renamed to Puducherry) in Tamil Nadu, just an overnight bus away from Bangalore. It's got a very laidback feel, with good beaches & places to stay. 3 days would be ideal there.

If you want some off-beat options for trips around Bangalore, you can try: getoffurass.com

I've never used them before, but they've been recommended by friends.

For shopping, Bangalore offers pretty much the same brands as is available in most of the world. You can easily shop for Indian wear, handicrafts & jewellery around the MG road / Brigade road / Commercial street area.

mumbai
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

Gokarna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gokarna .The idea place relax on the beach.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

How about just flying to Goa? There are direct flights daily. Short flight. Or you can take a train to Goa, I think.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

rains in Gokarna.....it's in Mangalore district. Seems like Goa or Pondicherry will be the most feasible options now.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

Which brings me to the point, leigh, that you haven't said when exactly you're visiting Bangalore. It is hard to make sensible suggestions without accounting for the weather.

Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

Sorry - I haven't been getting the emails saying this post was updated so...

I'll be flying in the 8th of November.

Thanks.

Bangalore
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

If u r a nature freak, We can help u out...

We conduct hiking / nature camps...where in u will be in forest and staying in a tent with a reservoir water facing...

Food will be simple vegetarian...

if interested u can mail me prapancha@gmail.com for more info..

sam

10. Re: Beach / relaxing / shopping close to Bangalore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 01:46