We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi All,

Doing research on how best to reach Leh from Delhi. Planning a tentative trip during second week of September for 6-7 nights.

So do I take the road from Manali or Srinagar? Flying to Leh seems expensive if I do not opt for a package deal.

If I take the road where do I stay overnight while travelling from Manali or Srinagar.

Any suggestions for stay in Leh? Which accomodation would you recommend? Ladakh Sarai seems interesting due to yurt styled accomodations.

Thanks in advance

120 replies to this topic
Delhi
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

We are not planning to explore Kashmir as of yet. For departure, we plan to drive from Leh to Delhi via Manali.

Thank you again for your help.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

The best way to travel is by road. I hv done it twice. There are 2 reasons for the same 1. you acclamatization is better 2. You see beauty of the place lime more plains and passes. In my view the best way to travel is to do a round trip from manali to leh and back via srinagar. Start from Delhi and reach manali (its over night journey or else start early in the morning and you can reach by evening) take break at manali and then travel to leh. You would need to take a break in between so take at keylong or on the way anywhere. Reach leh. spend 3 to 4 days and then come back via srinagar. Dont miss Khardungla and nubra valley . You need to take a break on the way to srinagar and that can be at Kargil. Don't forget to see Drass War Memorial. Dont drive at night. And preferrably stay in homestays as the houses are built in with thick mud walls and are very warm. They would cost less and you can enjoy local food. Carry you id cards (driving license, pan card etc) as to reach nubra you need to take inner line permit. If you want more information on road trip visit my blog indus-explorer at blogspot dot com. It has details and photographs.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 12:42
Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Dear Ma03851

Itinery can be

8th August---arrival Srinagar,stay there

9th---srinagar to Kargil

10th-- Kargil to Leh ,onway see Mulbekh,lamayuru,alchi,likir,nimmu,basgo,gurudwarapatthersahib,magnetic hill

11th- Complete rest & get inner line permit,evening Shanti stupa,leh palace,market

12th--Local monastery tour of Hemis,shey,thiksey,stok palace,sindhu ghat,hall of fame spituk monastery

13th Leh to Nubra via Khardungla pass,diskit monastery,camal ride,stay in tents at Hunder

14th--back to leh via Panamic valley

15th--day trip to Pangong

16th -- Leh to Tsomoriri lake,night stay there

17th-Tsomoriri to Keylong

18th- Keylong to Manali than to Delhi

you can choose 1 lake

Bengaluru, India
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

I plan to visit Leh , Ladakh region with my wife either in August or September.I am fine with around 7-10 days. Can you please suggest how could i plan it out.

What would be the best time ?

How is the best way to reach ?

What could be things to do (Trek, rafting etc) ?

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi Raghavendra

September is best time to visit Leh,pleasant weather,off season ,lot of discounts on hotels & taxi

I visited last year 7th Sep to 15th Sep

valley is full of apples

10 days are good,you can enjoy river rafting there

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hello Anilji,

Please allow me to ask you questions on Oriental guesthouse -

I'm planning to book room at Oriental guest house. Just curious - how are the Building B rooms?. Building B rooms rent is very cheap but still it has attached bathroom. So what are difference between Building B and C rooms?

Many Thanks!!

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi Arvindmayank

basic difference

B block-- only simple small room with attached bathroom like a dharamshala room

C block-- A class rooms with all facilities like a hotel room

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Thank You Anilji!

Chennai
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi Anil,

How about going by HPRTC bus from Manali to Leh. IS it advisable.

Thanks

20. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 20:20

Reply to: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted