We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Delhi
6 posts
Save Topic
How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

I plan a trip in first week of june by road from jammu.

Need following inputs:

1)The time taken in non stop journey in a private vehicle like Innova/Xylo ?

2)Is the route safe?

3)how much distance is in plans and hills? Is the hilly roads similar to one in shimla (steep and circular causing headaches and vomits)?

4)Any contact numbers for car rentals and aprrox cost per day for a vehicle like Xylo/Innova.

Delhi
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Hi Anuj ,

I have driven on the road between Jammu and Srinagar and it is an amazing journey .... however i did it a few years back.

Distance - Approx 300 Km

Time : 8 Hrs ( 5 - 6 Hrs .. upto Jawahar Tunnel & 2 Hrs from there )

Places enroute - Nagrota / Udhampur / Batote / Patnitop / Anantnag

After the Jawahar Tunnel ( banihal ) .. you enter the valley and the road is like you have in plains .. it is a marvel of nature and you will get about 100 Km of such drive which will take you about 90 min .

Road - Excellent ...much better than CHD to Shimla .. but prone to some weather disruptions

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

Aman

Pahalgam, India
Destination Expert
for Jammu and Kashmir
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Dear

Its very scenic drive from Jammu- Srinagar, the roads are better than Chandigarh - Shimla and much wider, It takes about 8 hrs under normal conditions with stoppage for lunch( Have Rajma- Rice at Peerha), the distance is around 206 kms out of which about 90 odd kms are plain road.

Regards

Sunny

Delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Thanks to both Aman and Sunny.

Sunny, I believe the distance is around 300(not 206) between Jammu-Srinagar.

I will go ahead and book the train journey between Delhi-Jammu and then take a cab forward.

I am planning to have the following schedule :

Day 1: Jammu-Pehalgam

Day 2: Pahalgam

Day 3: Pahalgam – Gulmarg (150 Kms/ 5 Hours)

Day 4 Gulmarg

Day 5 GulMarg-Sringar

Day 6 Sringar

Day 7 Leave Srinagar by 8 AM and reach udhampur by 6:30 PM to catch the train at 7 PM.

Is this ok or should I make some modifications ? Also, as per the above schedule, I am not able to fit Sonmarg. Is there anything speial about Sonmarg?

Delhi
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Looks perfect to me ... you may skip Sonmarg for the future ...

Anyways you will sure go back to the valley again as it is too mesmerising to visit just once

I infact visited sonmarg on my 4th trip to srinagar ... that too on my way to leh .. so sonmarg can easily be left this time around .

Aman

Delhi
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Thanks Aman.

Hyderabad, India
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

I am planning to travel by road from Srinagar to Jammu and onwards to Delhi and Hyderabad from Jammu by train in mid- March 2013

Depart Srinagar by bus-- 8.00 am

reach Jammu by 6.00 pm

Depart Jammu by train --- 7.40 pm

reach Delhi by 5.00am next day

Depart Delhi by train 6.45 am

i would like to know if one can make it to Jammu by bus as per the time schedules indicated above. are there suitable buses at the times mentioned. Please help me with the information so that i can proceed with the train book.

Regards,

Gurudas

GURUDAS

Indore, India
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

I will reach Jammu Station at about 4.15p.m on 20th May'13 with my spouse & two son aged around 13 & 10 years wants to travel Patnitop,Srinagar(house boat living), Pahalgam, Sonemarg,Gulmarg & will return on 27th May & my train is at 6p.m. from Jammu. Need advice for a planned travel 7night & eight days.

Please advise the best & convenient route.

my e-mail id is shyam.roy@avtec.in, sprutp@rediffmail.com.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 12:10
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

I have a train from jammu to delhi on 30 March 2013 at 19.30 ,what will be the ideal time to leave from srinagar and if some one can help me some car rent guys and some nice boat house for stay

Edited: 25 February 2013, 18:15
Chennai, India
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

I wish to travel by train from Delhi to Jammu and reach on 20th March 2013 early morning and wish to reach Delhi by 24th evening. Can you please suggest the best itinerary. I don't mind flying back from Srinagar to Delhi!

Mahaveerchand Jain from Chennai

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is road travael from jammu to srinagar

Hi

Travel from Srinagar to Jammu 258km. Personally i advise not to travel same dau in March u never know road block anywhere due to weather.

It will be better to reach Patnitop previous night

For car rentals in Jammu many groups www.jammutaxi.in Mr Ravi 09988837636 they provide all types of vehicles on per day basis which includes everything for Kashmir travel

www,jammutaxiservices.com 09478402754

www,jammutaxi.com 09419183211