We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Houseboat on Nageen Lake

We are planning a trip to Kashmir and Ladakh during end of July. We are 2 couples and our agent has recommended a houseboat on the Nageen Lake as against Dal Lake. Had some queries on this.

1. How much of a compromise (if at all) it is to stay on Nageen Lake as against Dal Lake - Pros and Cons??

2. Is it possible to quickly get onshore or do we necessarily need to take a shikara?

3. In terms of location / accessibility which one is better? Nageen Lake or Dal Lake?

Any insight into this would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,077 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

1. If you prefer to stay away from hustle-bustle of tourists and shikara shops, you may think of Nageen Lake Houseboats. Some people love to stay within main tourist area and enjoy the floating shops etc, Dal Lake houseboats are their first choice.

2. Shikara is the mode of transport between houseboats and mainland, doesnt matter whether you stay at Nageen or Dal.

3. Actually, both the lakes are connected through a causeway. Location wise Dal is more popular.

AshisRoy

Edited: 05 July 2011, 21:14
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Thanks this is helpful. We are most likely going ahead with the Nageen Lake option.

dal lake
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Dear Saneguy

If you want to stay in a houseboat the best is open dal lake front of oberoi hotel. You can watch all the srinagar from there it is very beautiful and clean place. There are very good houseboats over there like royal dandoo, persian palace. All film shooting started from that area.

india
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Today we are back from kashmir trip...........i would suggest you to stay at dal lake houseboat........in 2nd row.........1st row is facing the road side so you may not enjoy much......we stayed there in new mexico(double room) it took rs 1200 per night......dont stay at nagin lake.....pick up and drop in shikara they will give free of cost if you stay in dal lake house boat.........one evening or early morning you can have a shikara ride.....1st hour Rs 350....and 100 rs per next one hour and so on.........dont do shopping from shops on dal lake while you go for shikara ride,..........they charge you double........shikara owners will force u to buy as they have comissions.........[please dont get cheated .........be careful....agents will suggest u all rubish things wherever they get more comission they will try to push u thr

mumbai
Level Contributor
208 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Nageen Lake is a more quieter and serene ....The lake boasts of one of the best Houseboats like the gurkha ..u can try them.

Dal lake is more commercial noisy and connects you directly to the Boulevard where its buzzing with people.

Srinagar, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Nagin lake is a nice place to stay and Houseboats are anchored to the shores , so you can any time go on the road with out any shikara ride.

kolkata
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

check out Houseboat Flora in google search. Nice houseboat and Mr Bashir is a really nice and helpful person

London, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

Hi saneguy, we spent a few days in Srinagar and Ladakh a couple of weeks ago and actually decided against the houseboat for convenience reasons. First of all, you are reliant on a shikara passing or someone calling it for you to get ashore, and even then you have to haggle on the price. Also we wanted wi-fi and none of the houseboats we saw had it. Also, unlike what I had imagined, houseboats in Srinagar don't move and are usually lines up like houses right next to each other. As we had spent time on 'houseboats' in other parts of the world, we decided to do away with the experience this time around.

Having said that, it is certainly a top-rated thing to do in Srinagar. Either way, you will have fun. Don't forget to visit Chashm e Shahi and Pari Mahal on the east bank of the Dal Lake.

My report on the Ladakh to Kashmir journey - …wordpress.com/2011/08/16/the-great-escape/

Shelley

Sussex
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

25 years ago I stayed on the 'Golden Tulip' Houseboat on Lake Nagin. Does anybody know if it is still there and if it is still possible to stay there??

Good memories!

Edited: 10 October 2011, 01:55
Pune, India
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houseboat on Nageen Lake

I'd highly recommend Houseboat Flora at Nigeen Lake. Firstly if one likes more serene settings then it's better to stay at Nigeen Lake. It is quiet, peaceful but at the same time is within the striking distance of the Dal Lake.

I just spent 6 nights at Houseboat Flora with my family and it's one of the most comfortable stays I had. Mr. Bashir and his cousin Raja makes it a home away from home for you and there hospitality is to be seen to be believed.

Houseboat has 2 bedrooms - quite comfortable, a dining space, a living room and the beautiful verandah overlooking the lake with a nice view of snow clad mountains of Gul Marg at the distance.

Bashir and team prepares the dinner as per your order.

But the biggest gain is their helpful attitude in guiding the guests to the right places of the state and even accompanying them. There is no hidden agenda when they take you to the shopping places. My initial hesitation went away within a day.

Potential travellers can contact this houseboat at otaflorain@yahoo.com and even call Mr. Bashir at 9419982425 or 9697330529.