We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Kashmir this summer, most likely end of june (when I'm off work). I'll be travelling in a group of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids, aged 2-7). We're really excited about going as my family is originally from Kashmir and it would great to finally see where we come from. I've heard lots about it but never been to Kashmir, or even India for that matter.

I'm trying to work out the best itinerary so I can book my flights from now. I was thinking about staying in Kashmir for about 7/8 days. I'll be flying in to Delhi so I'll have to book a flight to Srinagar too. Advice on booking this flight would also be handy.

Any advice on what to see, where to go, where to stay would be great. Is it worth booking an all inclusive package? I don't want to do too much road travelling as I have small children but if there are places that are a must-see, we can always make an acception.

I'd appreciate any guidance on fixing an itinerary and on a reputable tour guide.

Also, since I've never been to India before, are there any things I need to be aware of in terms of safety, scams, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,888 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Hi,

Let's do the itinerary first. It can be as follows :

Day1 Arr. Srinagar. Check-in hotel. Afternoon - shikara ride on Dal lake.

Day2 Srinagar - Mughal Gardens, Hazratbal, Sankaracharya Temple. Afternoon - shopping.

Day3 Day trip to Sonmarg.

Day4 After breakfast transfer to Gulmarg, check-in hotel. Afternoon - roam around green meadow, have a cup of Kawa in Gulmarg Golf Club.

Day5 After breakfast - Gondola ride to Affarwat, sladging and other snow activities. Back to Gulmarg before lunch. Afternoon - free at leisure.

Day6 Transfer to Pahalgam, enroute - Awantipura ruins. Check-in hotel.

Day7 Pahalgam - Aru or Chandanbari and Betaab Valley.

Day8 Transfer to Srinagar, flyout.

If you are keen to entrust the trip to travel operator. You may try www.yatra.com OR www.makemytrip.com OR www.thomascook.in

AshisRoy

AshisRoy

Edited: 08 January 2012, 11:14
Jammu City, India
Destination Expert
for Kashmir, Srinagar
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

great to hear that you are planning to visit your home land

Day 1st Arrival and visit Mughal garden

Day2nd Visit phalagam and stay there

Day 3rd Tour of Beetab valley and chandanwari and back to Phalagam

Day 4th back to srinagar and shikara ride

Day 5th Srinagar to gulmarg and night stay there

Day 6th and back to srinagar

Day 7th Tour of sonamarg

Day 8th departure

staying in srinagar use Hotel Comrade inn/ The shelter group of Houseboats

Phalagam Hotel Pine Spring /Hilltop/Mount viewa

Gulmarg Royal Park/ pine palace platinum

Avoid delhi based tour operators because there price are high

try local tour operator in srinagar Royal India Expedition/ Bharati travel

beware from the touts at airport especially at Delhi airport and also from driver

kashmir11

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Thanks to both you for the information and advice. I'll have a look round and see what I can manage. I'll get my flights sorted first then finalise the itinerary once its confirmed.

Sounds really good. Can't wait. Thanks guys.

mumbai
Level Contributor
208 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Hi,

Do it yoursellf itinerary:

EX:SRINAGAR

Itinerary:

Day 1: Srinagar - Gulmarg (56 kms)

Arrive at Srinagar. Depart by surface for Gulmarg, India's best ski resort and “meadow of flowers” 56 kms drive. Full day at leisure to explore Gulmarg. Visit the famous Maharani Temple and St Mary’s church. Night at Gulmarg.

Day 2: Gulmarg

Morning after breakfast, Full day enjoy Gulmarg on your own by visiting The Gulmarg Gondola, asia’s highest cable car ride. Take pony rides or trek to Khilanmarg.You are free to visit the Golf course too. Night at Gulmarg.

Gulmarg boasts of the world’s highest and asia’s longest cable car project Gulmarg Gondola. The ropeway, which has 36 cabins, ferries about 600 tourists to and fro the Afarwat peak and comprises 35 towers and 30 stations and takes skiers to a height of 4,390 metres The ropeway project is a joint venture of the Jammu and Kashmir government and French firm Poma Glaski.

Day 3: Gulmarg - Pahalgam- (140 kms).

After breakfast depart to Pahalgam. Pahalgam, better known as 'the valley of shepherds' is situated at an altitude of 2130 meters and is 95 kms from Srinagar. It is at the confluence of sheshnag and lidder streams. Pahalgam is considered as Kashmir’s premier resort , pahalgam welcomes you with fresh breeze and the famous lidder river rises from the Kolohoi glacier. Enjoy pahalgam “valley of shepherds”. visit the very beautiful lidder river. Visit the Betaab Valley today by pony or trek on your own. Overnight at Pahalgam.

Day 4: Pahalgam

After breakfast enjoy the day at your own, shopping and sightseeing. Trek to Aru or Chandanwari. You have the option of taking pony trails or visiting Baisarn or kolhai Glacier.overnight at Pahalgam.

Day 5: Pahalgam to Srinagar(95 kms)

After breakfast depart for Srinagar.Check in at Hotel in Srinagar Today Evening enjoy the very splendid shikara ride on Dal lake and indulge in water sports on Dal lake . Overnight In Srinagar Houseboat

Day 6: Srinagar city tour

After breakfast leave for Srinagar. Sightseeing to the famous shankaracharya temple, Mughal gardens, Nishatbagh, Chashm-e-Shahi gardens pari mahal. Overnite at Srinagar Hotel.

Srinagar is the summer state capital and is situated at an altitude of 1,730 metres above sea level.The city is located on both the sides of the Jhelum River, which is called Vyath in Kashmir. The river passes through the city and meanders through the valley, moving onward and deepening in the Wular Lake. The city is famous for its nine old bridges, connecting the two parts of the city.Srinagar means wealth (lakshmi) and nagar means city. Tourism is the most significant segment of the city's economy. The city of Srinagar is the gateway to some of the most scenic and beautiful places of the Indian subcontinent. Srinagar is well known for its lakes. Dal Lake with its houseboats is famous all over the world. Srinagar is a small and beautiful city with a wonderful climate. Nagin Lake is another famous lake in the city.

Day 7: Srinagar - Sonmarg (85 kms)

After breakfast leave for Sonmarg ”Meadow of Gold”.is a trekkers heaven a starting point for many treks.spectacular skies, snowy mountains, huge lakes, strewn with the loveliest alpine flowers at an altititude of 2667 meters and 84 km from Srinagar, it lies in the heart of a beautiful valley by the sindh. Full day at Sonmarg to explore on your own. ”Visit the famous Thajiwas Glacier on a pony or trek in Sonmarg. Sonmarg is the starting point of many famous treks and also the gateway to Leh. Evening return to Srinagar. Overnight at hotel at Srinagar.

Day 8: Airport Transfer: Depart to Sheikh Ul Alam Srinagar airport.Come back with beautiful memories of kashmir valley "Paradise On Earth.

HOTELS TO STAY IN KASHMIR

Hotel Highlands park/Royal Park/Heevan Retreat or Alpine Ridge in Gulmarg

Pahalgam Hotel/Heevan Hotel/Senator Pine and Peak in Pahalgam

Gurkha Housbeoat ON Nagin Lake in Srinagar

Comrade Inn /Hotel Reseidecny in Srinagar,

Book your hotels online.but try and book a car on Disposable basis as that would be ideal when your travelling with your family.

WHAT TO SHOP:

Papier maiche,Walnuts,Saffron,cricket bats, Almonds,Apples,Willow wicker, Honey, Kashmir handicrafts ,Carpets Salwar kameez,Saris Shawls,Bags and Stoles.

WHAT TO CARRY:

Warm clothes,pullover,sunglasses,umbrella,camera and sport shoes or good walking shoes,Boots and medical kit/Insurance papers.

Abu Dhabi, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Dear, i was looking for a detailed sightseeing plan and found yours to be very meticoulus in detail.

It is very informative and i will plan my trip to ( in August ) based on the contents of your email.

best regards,

nizam

abu dhabi

mumbai
Level Contributor
208 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Thanks Nizam.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Thanks for the detailed info bijalkadam.

Is it recommended to 'do it yourself'? I mean considering I'll be travelling with 4 young children. I had assumed a tour package would be best but after further consideration I think I'd prefer to customize things myself.

Also, if anybody could advise me on what things I need to pre-book and what things can be arranged after arriving, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

The train connection to Srinagar is one decade behind schedule , that should be a nice experience when it starts to run.

Meanwhile , security : I hope you are aware of the current travel advisory at fco.gov.uk , and the limitations on your travel insurance from this.

mumbai
Level Contributor
208 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

joowantitjoog...

Things to Pre Book,

1)Your hotels.please book them online considering you will be travelling during summer in Kashmir and its peak season time.

2)Book a centrally heated Toyota Innova car which should suffice for your family.You can book the car from a reputed travel company in Srinagar.(Culture and Nature expeditions/shangloo travels etc)

Surf the net for more.

3)Flights should be booked Ex:London-Delhi-Srinagar.(Delhi-Srinagar flights can be booked on yatra.com or similar.) choose a early morning flight so you can arrive in the morning at srinagar and get the whole day.

4)Please remember one more thing since your travelling with 4 small children please do choose your hotel with a MAP Plan which means (Bed+Breakfast and Dinner meals).so you dont have to hunT for hotels in Gulmarg and pahalgam.

If you choose a good property then the meals are pretty decent at the hotel.

This should apply in Gulmarg and Pahalgam.However in Srinagar you can opt for a cp plan which is bed and breakfast.

You can have your dinner meals in various restaurants at Srinagar and try out some local cuisine too.

5)Ask the travel company to provide you with a English speaking driver to take you around.Most drivers turn out to be good guides and are friendly.

Please also mention to them the car should be on diposbale basis.

6)Toytota Innova cars in summers cost anywhere bet 2500 to 2600 per day.

7)My recommendations for Your Hotel stay:

Hotel hIghland parks/Heevan Retreat/Alpine ridge/Royal Park in Gulmarg

Hotel Pahalgam/Senator Pine and Peak/Hotel Heevan In pahalgam

Hotel comrade inn/Green Acre Guest House/Taj vivanta/grand palace/Hotel dar e salaam in Srinagar

Hotel Gurkha Houseboat on Nagin Lake in Srinagar.

You have lots of time to do surf the above hotels and websites for additional info.

Let me Know if need any more information.

So.Flights/Hotels and car need to be prebooked.

Basically once the above is done i dont think nothing is left to do.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!

Edited: 13 January 2012, 14:24
Srinagar
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to Kashmir in June/July - Advice needed pls!

Wangnooboats@rediffmail.com

contact for srinagar it will be an awsome trip by wangnoo