We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Pune
5 posts
Save Topic
Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Hi friends,

We are planning a trip to Kashmir around 15 Oct for a week. Please let me know if it is safe to be there? And how is the weather in Mid October is it very cold or any chances to see snowfall? and what all places we can cover in 7-8 days time. I am finding it very interesting but a bit skeptical due to lack of information about situation in Kashmir.

Please respond if anyone has been there at the same time.

Thanks.

Satish

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

hi,

October would be nice time for Kashmir. Kashmir is peaceful and safe as on date. It will be cold but tolerable. You may get snowfall at Affarwat off Gulmarg. Make the itinerary as Srinagar 3 nts, Gulmarg 2 nts & Pahalgam 2nts.

Nothing to worry about. Get the booking done.

AshisRoy

Edited: 03 August 2011, 17:09
Mumbai, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

October is lovely in Kashmir. For safety, you need to follow some precautions and then it's all okay. Some of the prcautions are: Don't go to the market in Srinagar. Stay in the Lake, but not on the Nagin Lake side. The lake houseboats are absolutely safe. The choice of car or vehicle with a known driver will make you feel safe. Pahalgam, Gulamarg and Sonamarg are absolutely safe once you reach there. The choice of hotels there will greatly enhance your feeling of safety.

Kashmir is colder than all other mountain regions in India and the snowfall starts earliest and end lasts. Chances of snowfall in October are certainly there and most likely you will have snow in Sonamarg in any case that time.

Go, its heavenly. Nothing like it in the himalayas. And if you are a foodie, then it won't be your last trip!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

No one can predict safety situation in October. Yesterday (Wednesday) much of Srinagar closed down after clashes with police and security forces. Curfew.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

There was a bundh in Srinagar yesterday, nothing else, no violence in Srinagar, Gulmarg, Sonmarg and Pahalgam. Kashmir is full of tourists now.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 11:12
Pune
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Hey,

Thanks both of you for info.

I am finalizing my plans soon now. Can you please help me about one more thing?

should I opt for a holiday package from a travel site or should I go ahead with individual hotel bookings at each of these places. I am doubtful about the quality of hotels offered by makemytrip etc. I dont mind spending A few thousand bucks more as its my honeymoon and I want it to be hasslefree.

Please let me know where can I get hotel list/contacts if I should do separate bookings everywhere.

Thanks again.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

The Tribune today :

"...reports of clashes between youth indulging in stone throwing and the police here.The clashes led to a complete shutdown.There was a heavy deployment of the security forces.All the shops and business establishments here and in other major towns of the Valley were closed and passenger transport was off the road. "

Associated Press:

"At least three clashes broke out between government forces and rock-throwing protesters in the main city of Srinagar..."

In Greater Kashmir newspaper you can see roads blocked by burning tyres in central Srinagar.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Hi,

I would advise to book the hotels yourself and hire the vehicle from local tour operators. You may try Hotel Dar-Es-Salaam or Grand Mumtaz in Srinagar. Hotel Highland Parks, Nedou's, Hotel Heevan or Grand Mumtaz in Gulmarg.

Hotel Mount View, Pahalgam Hotel in Pahalgam. Book them thru Net, pay advance for 1 day.

For car rental, you may contact Abdul Hamid Karnai, Karnai Travels, Srinagar 190 001, Phone : +91-9906565116

Email:hamid@karnaitravels.com info@karnaitravels.com

He is reliable.

AshisRoy

Edited: 04 August 2011, 22:48
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Hi Ashis,

Read with great interest your detailed responses in the Kashmir Forum.

We are planning a trip to kashmir is Oct 1st week. Arrive by on the morning of 1st Oct and depart by 2.00 p.m. flight on 5th oct. (Basically 4 nights + 4 days) (5 adults)

Budget is not a constraint and we are happy to pay for quality accomodation/ experience. We would prefer to do slightly offbeat/ not typical touris things.

We would like to do Srinagar, Pahalgam and Gulmarg.

These are the options we are considering:

Option 1:

1st Oct Arrive in Srinagar and drive straight to Pahalgam by lunch time

Night at pahalgam (which hotel would you recommend. preferably something closer to Lidder river)

2nd October - drive to Srinagar - check in to House boat (we are considering Gurkha Houseboat on Nagin from Welcomheritage)

Night at House boat - possible go to Mughal Garden the same day?

3rd October - Srinagar - should we spend in Srinagar / or try Sonmarg

Night at Houseboat

4th October - Drive to Gulmarg - gondoloa/ golf course etc

Night at Gulmarg - we were considering between Alpine Ridge and Highland - we also have

5th October - leave for airport

Option 2 - 3 night at Houseboat in Srinagar - do day trip to Pahalgam & Sonmerg

Drive to Gulmarg on the 4th morning - stay the night there - also visit Tangmarg as we have some friends in the army there.

Basically the choice is between a night in Pahalgam and 2 nights in Srinagar or 3 nights in Srinagar

Look forward to hearing from you

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

Already replied to your p.m. on the same topic.

AshisRoy

Edited: 29 August 2011, 16:13
kochi
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning Kashmir trip in Oct 2nd week.

I'm planning to visit srinagar from 30 sep to 6 oct 11 . please advise me the climate , suitable hotel and also house boat tariffs