We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

Hi,

JAI MATA DI...!!!

We are 2 persons (me and my wife).

Following is the itinerary being made by me:

Feb 19:

Reach Jammu at 6:30 am. Reach katra by 10 amvia bus. Start the yatra around 12 - 1 pm. Room booked at Bhavan.

Feb 20:

Come down at Katra by 11 am. Rest. Local sightseeing around katra like Baba Dhansar, Aghar Jitto, Deva Mai Temple.

Feb 21:

Shiv Khori Darshan Yatra. Return same day to Katra.

Feb 22 - Feb 23:

Reach Patnitop. Search a hotel. Sightseeing.

Feb 24:

Reach Jammu by afternoon. Deposit Luggage at Cloak room at railway station. Local sightseeing. Catch U Sampark Kranti train a 8:30 pm.

Queries:

1) How to reach SHIVKHORI from KATRA? Are there any buses availaible?

2) As there is heavy snowfall currently (saw in news), is the Katra - Patnitop route open ? If yes, will sightseeing be possible or blocked due to snowfall?

3) Are there buses from KATRA to reach patnitop? I want to reach patnitop at around 10 am in the morning. Will I get a bus accordingly?

4) Are there buses from Patnitop to reach JAMMU by afternoon?

5) How to do the KATRA local sightseeing economically - taxi ???

5) Since we are just two people, how much would a Taxi cost (Non AC Indica) for Katra to Patnitop (left there), and Patnitop to Jammu?

6) In case, Patnitop is not accessible, have made a backup plan to visit Dalhousie. Is this Ok to visit dalhousie now?

Thanks to provide ur help immediately as I will be travelling tommorow from Delhi...!!!

Thanks for understanding...!!!

38 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

Hi,

As there is just 1 day left for the travel, request you people to help me in the same...!!!

Thanks for understanding and cooperation...!!!

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

hey hiiiiiiii

Patanitop Hotel : Hotel Brown Palace. Small but Beautiful done by only wood.

Nice Reception, Family Atmo, Clean and Neat Rooms.

Regards,

uju

mumbai

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

I am just back from the tour... Will share the experience soon...!!!

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

hey hiiiiiiii

Please Share your tour Experience that would know everyone....How you spend your total days and how you enjoy your tour...??

Regards,

uju

mumbai

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

I have planned vaishno devi visit in march last week,how is the weather ,rush etc, there.I request you to share your experiance ,how much time you were required to wait for darshan,and how you reached there.Is shivkhodi easily reachable

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. Here is my personal experience of the tour. I would like to share the same in points:

- After reaching Jammu station, one has to rush towards the buses for KATRA to get a comfortable seat (Rs 60 per person). It takes 2 hours to reach Katra (including the 15 minutes break it takes on the way). One can also hire a taxi from there.

- Once reached KATRA, the first thing to do is get a YATRA parchi (near the bus stand only).

- Then I searched for a hotel there. Luckily, I found a very good hotel, which is newly constructed and located near market.

Name: HOTEL POOJA PALACE (rates in the range 500-650)

Facilities: Clean rooms, LCD, Gysers, OK staff.

- For food, you can try either the "Manoranjan Dhaba" or the "Pooja Vaishno Bhojnalaya" (located below Pooja Palace Hotel). My personal recommendation is Pooja Bhojnalaya as it has quick service, awesome food, hygenic, reasonable rates and more variety to offer than Manoranjan Dhaba. Try the Pranathas/Kulchas there.... really delicious.

- Started yatra at 2 pm, reached Adhkuwari at 6, and Bhavan at 12. Please note that at Adhkuwari and Bhavan, darshan are closed from 6 to 8, due to AARTI. Take the parchi for Adhkuwari darshan as soon as u reach there as it will take time for the darshan there, because the cave (Garbhjoon) is really narrow and only 50 persons are allowed to enter in one lot for the darshan.

- Have a room booking already at Bhavan (done online), hence checked in to the room there, took 2 hours rest, and then had a bath and finally the DARSHAN. There was no rush at all. Generally, between 2 - 4 am, the rush is very low.

- After Darshan, took rest at the room. Started Bhairo Yatra at around 10:15 am. Reached by 11:45 am. It was quite cold there. SNOW could be seen on the way and at top. There was no arrangement for the SHOES there and one has to keep them before Darshan at their own risk.

- Keep a lot of 'change' with you during the whole YATRA, as the SHRINE BOARD Bhojnalaya guys are not willing at all to give u the same. And irony is that only SHRINE board bhojnalays are the one u will get as u reach closer to Bhavan, and only these offer items at MRP or very reasonable rates.

- Helicopter service is also availaible in every 10 minutes which drops you at the SanjhiChat. You need to book the same earlier.

- GHODAS are availaible at Rs. 380 - 410 (as per weight). Take them from the official counters located near Banganga. I didn't take any of them though.

- Don't take stairs at all (though they seems to be shortcut) during the YATRA, as it is more tiring than the normal route.

- Have lots of drinks and less food during the YATRA.

- There are 2 routes from just before Adhkuwari - a) one via HIMKOTI, which is 1 Km less than the other, less steep, and easy to walk on. b) The other via Sanjhichat, 1 Km more than other, more steep.

- After having darshan at Adhkuwari, one can continue via the new route(Himkoti one), as there is path from Adhkuwari which connects to the new route (some 300 mts).

- Don't forget to keep thermals, rain coats with you during the YATRA as it very cold at the BHAVAN, and also raining at times.

- Lockers are avaialable at BAHAVAN (free of cost) to keep your belongings before DARSHAN.

- At Adhkuwari, as your number approaches submit your luggage in the CLOAK room (lockers) then only. If your number is still far, they will not allow you to submit your baggage. Only when it is near, you can submit the same.

This is all regarding my Vaishno Devi Yatra... I will share regarding SHIVKHORI and PATNITOP in another post in this same forum.

Dear drnitinpatel,

As for your queries, currently there is very very low rush. You dont have to wait for the DARSHAN at all. You can do the yatra on foot, or using GHODA, PLAKI, helicopter etc. Weather is normal below, but as you reach higher, its very cold out there and also raining at times.

In case of any further queries of any sort, please feel free to ask me the same.

BR,

Perkmania

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

Please find below the details of my SHIVKHORI darshan:

- I booked the bus tickets for SHIVKHORI before hand (the night before the actual travel day) from one of the tour travel office there. SAI SHRADDHA tour travels (located in the same lane as MANORANJAN DHABA). Rs 180 per person.

- The bus starts at 10:30 am from KATRA and reach around 2 pm at SHIVKHORI.

- Its a 3 Km long Yatra for the SHIVKHORI darshan, not very steep though.

- It took us around 3 hours for the whole yatra (up and down) and Darshan.

- If time permits, the bus will also take you to NAU DEVI darshan and AGHAR JITTO darshan, which falls on the way.

- The SHIVKHORI cave is really narrow, but keep chanting "OM NAMAH SHIVAAY" and will be able to cross it very easily.

- There are no official prashad shops of SHIVKHORI SHRINE BOARD (few private shops are availaible on the YATRA way), so take prashad accordingly.

- You are not allowed to take the CAMERAs, mobiles etc in the HOLY CAVE.

- After you cross the cave and reach the SHRINE, wait there for the PUJARi to explain you the importance and architecture of the cave. It shouldn't be missed at any cost.

- There is just one HOTEL at SHIVKHORI (Hotel New Tridev), and few guest houses.

- The views during the tour from KATRA to SHIVKHORI are really awesome.

- We started for KATRA at around 6 pm from SHIVKHORI and reached in around 3- 3.5 hrs.

In case of any further ueries regarding tour, Kindly feel free to ask the same.

Thanks & reagards,

Prakash

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

Thanx a lot but What about mobile and camera . Can we use these while on the track from Katra to Bhawan(out side the temple)..I mean do they allow you to take mobile and camera with you or we will have to leave these in Katra itself.What did you do .

Edited: 01 March 2012, 16:00
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

I took the mobile and camera alongwith me during the YATRA. It was no prob for me. Also, I saw other people carrying the same with them.

Bhopal, India
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help

thanx again .you would have to deposit it in the cloak room outside the temple. is this safe

Reply to: Vaishno Devi - ShivKhori - Patnitop : Itinerary --- Pls Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted