We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Hi Folks,

Me and wife plan to visit Vaishno Devi shrine next month.. We plan to arrive around 11Am in the morning by flight from Delhi and leave around 12.30 PM the next day , so will have little more than 24hrs for the trip from Jammu airport - Katra - Vaishno devi - Katra - Jammu airport..

Wanted to know about the crowds there around mid November ?? Its gonna be a bit hectic and we plan to trek the whole night without any hotel stay ( if needed), but we cannot add more time unfortunately :(

Are there direct buses to Katra from Jammu airport or do we need to come to Jammu bus station ??

Solicit any advise .

thanks

Abhi

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Ok, I'm thinking aloud for you...

You will reach Jammu at 11 am, so by around 12 noon you can start your journey for Katra. If you hire a car from the airport, your journey will start immediately. However, to take the bus I feel you'll need to get to the bus stand (I'm not aware how far it is from the airport but I guess max. 30 minutes). So, by 1.00 pm you should be on the way. Katra is about 2 hrs away from Jammu. If you take the bus, you should be in Katra by 3.00-3.30 pm. (You have to collect some sort of entry slip at Katra, please don't forget to collect yours) You can start your climb to the Bhawan immediately and you could be there at the Bhawan by 9.00ish. At the Bhawan you will get a batch no. which will indicate when your turn will come for Darshan. Nov. will be cold and possibly it may be crowded. I'm assuming you can not start back before 4.00 am. If you start at 4.00 you should be in Katra by 8.00 ish and then again 2 hrs to Jammu.

So, totally touch and go in my opinion. My thinking aloud over! Now you have to decide whether you and your wife are upto so much travel (mind you, around 10 hrs of walking, 4 hrs by car and the flight)

Hope this helps

- Sandy

Edited: 21 October 2010, 19:01
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

thanks for the prompt reply Sandy..

Thts the only time we have for the next 10 months ( since we will be abroad) and hence we will try to make it..

Appreciate your advise..

thanks

Abhi

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Why don't you take a train from Jammu to Delhi? You can get a late evening train eg. Jammu Ali Exp which leaves Jammu at 18.15 and reaches Delhi at 4.00 am.

Just a thought!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Have an early morning intl flight leaving delhi at 4.30Am ..

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Oh ok!

All the best for your journey, Hope you have a good darshan!

Jai Mata Di!

- Sandy

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

India
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Anji,

I have also planned my vaishno devi darshan just like you for early Nov. To save time in katra, I have booked yatra slip online from the official shrine board website http://www.maavaishnodevi.org. You may also do the same.

jai mata di

New Delhi
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

better train woudl be Uttar Sampark Kranti express !! Infact Jammu economy is so tied up with Vaishno devi shrine that the moment you step out of railway station you will be swamped by taxi drivers offering trips to Katra and back !! Alternatively you can book helicopter as well

Delhi
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Vaisho Devi.

I have few questions:-

1. Do I need to buy any kind of darshan Ticket or Darshan is free for all...

2. How much time it would take from Jammu Airport to Katra.

3. How much time it would take to reach at bhavan, Darshan, Chadai to wards Bharo baba, Darshan and back to Katra.

It would be great if you can assist as sson as possible.

Regards.

Gaurav Bedi

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Gaurav,

Please do read the earlier replies on this thread. Your questions have already been answered.

ATB

- Sandy

Edited: 19 November 2010, 09:00