We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

My wife and I would like to go for darshan. Is there a time of the year when the crowd is less and yet it weather-wise not too cold? We are ok to walk up the way.

255 replies to this topic
mumbai
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

hi,

actually it is best time through out the year; but if you want to avoid too much of rush; go after the summer navratris ie around mid april or better still about a week after diwali; the weather would not be too cold but pleasant and it wouldnt be too crowded; enjoy your trip and ask for any more queries

bella

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

We have just returned and our timings were perfect.

Our visit clashed with Indian school examinations so the crowd was less. The temparature at this time of year suits us as being from the UK we cannot handle it too hot.

We climbed at night, set off just after midnight so again the crowds were thinner, and we were wlaking down jsu as it started to get busy.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

Thanks for these responses.

We went in December. Landed in Jammu. Booked tickets for VaishnoDevi darshan in the airport itself (this gives priority access and special prasad).

We then shared a taxi to Katra with another couple (stopped at a Dhaba about half hour from Katra - this one seems famous, but quite small).

We lodged in a very small hotel in Katra but it was in in the town centre, freshened up and left for Vaishno Devi. We took an auto from the hotel to the foothills. Started walking at about 8 and reached at 12 midnight. We didnt realise we could use the VIP tickets (there was a very thin crowd) and did our first darshan. Then when we asked about how to use the tickets that we had, we got to go for another darshan. This time there was almost no one in the queue!

We ate something and decided to take a pony. This was a bad idea, as our butts really hurt though we reached in 2.5 hours instead of 4 back down. The pony guys are also not trust-worthy.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

Avoid weekends & public holidays that itself will ease 50%

Further recommend you to book the Accommodation for Vaishodevi from their official website as you will be given a Priority Darshan Ticket for Online Internet Booking.

New Delhi
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

Hi to all, we always prefer to go Vaishno Devi in the month of Feb to Mar & Sep to Oct. coz that time no rush no crowd and whther is not bad at this time and hotels rates are not high in this season,, but in the month june july aug there is peak season. coz all govt. oficial and school guys go to bhavan bcoz its summer holidays time in india. so plz keep it in mind always prefer to go as per our schedule coz v r regular person on this route every year we all r going from the last 15 years.

Prince

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

How was the weather in December? Is there another alternative to ponies, as I will have elderly parents with me?

Goa
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

hi , how much time does it take to walk up from katra to vaishno devi temple

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

I would say anywhere between 3 to 6 hrs depending upon your energy levels because when i travelled i used the helicopter while going up and trekked down and it took 5hrs giving lot of breaks to rest and eat/drink because i was obese at that time and i was not used to any such activities like this before.

delhi
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

When ever Mata Rani will call you. you will reach there. However oct is teh best time.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?

If comfortable darshans are wanted than One should avoid long weekends, Navratras and Year end

Reply to: What is a good time to go to Vaishno Devi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted