We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

Elmhurst, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

Hi All,

I will be going to Jammu for my trip to Vaishno Devi and meeting some of my relatives.

I need to know what service works best over there? I have read the prepaid roaming doesn't work at all. Does this apply to ALL OF J/K or certain portions only. I.e will a mumbai prepaid sim work in Jammu CIty. ALso, would a prepaid purchased from Jammu work in the vaishno devi/Katra along with the Jammu city region?

We will be going to jammu, dalhousie and amritsar so trying to understand if prepaid will work. If not I will activate airtel postpaid.

thanks

C

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

In Jammu and Kashmir only Postpaid services shall work due to restrictions put in place by Government. Buying a prepaid in Jammu is not possible as Local proof of residence would be required. Getting postpaid is the best bet.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

Distance : PatniTop is 85 kms from Patnitop. It takes 150 Minutes to reach patnitop by a cab. The stopovers in between are Udhampur, Chenani and Kud.

Kud is quite famous for its Local Sweet called PATISA.... You must try that. Prem Sweet Shop is the Oldest and the Best one.

Patnitop has Two Entry Points, I would suggest You to Ask for KASSAL MORH. From there Naag Temple is Just 01 Kms and all hotels are near to that Only.

The Other route is from JKTDC Reception . It takes around 06-07 kms to reach Padora Enclave from there. Avoid this route.

S.Seeing Spot in and Around Patnitop are :

1. Sanasar- Nathatop Circuit : 19 Kms One Way from Patnitop.

2. GouriKund, Sudhmahadev and Manatalai Circuit : Approx. 60 Kms One Way

3. Chanderlok Lake Site / Peerah : Approx. 35 Kms from Patnitop. Famous for Local RAJMA/CHAWAL and further ahead You can see the Artifical Lake from a far off Location. Gives You Photo Oppurtunity.

Have a Safe Trip ! ! !

NYC
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

some good information on this blog, please read and review -

http://trip2vaishnodevi.blogspot.com/

Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

TravelSourceIndia has almost described you your options here.

If you have limited time and can't visit Kashmir then Kud/PatniTop/Sanasar will fullfil your choice as you can stay in PatniTop and can cover PatniTop and Kud easily as these are not far, won't take more than 20-30 mins to reach the destination.

Weather and scenery is what you will enjoy here else if you are looking for shopping then you dont have anything here.

For shopping Jammu is your best bet however most of the items are from Punjab or Delhi and being a Mumbian you wont find anything worth buying here rest depends on your choice and mood.

5. Re: Mumbai resident, roaming in Jammu/Katra/Vaishno Devi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 12:45