We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to manali in October

Kerala
8 posts
Save Topic
Visit to manali in October

Hi all,

We plan to visit Manali during the last week of October. We would like to know whether the Rohtang pass would be open at that time. Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to manali in October

Yes, Rotang Pass will be open in October. Have a nice trip !!

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to manali in October

@asish Ji - confident? look kiya jai? :)

answering this question not so easy

closing/opening of Rhotang Pass started from month of September upto November, then its closed for almost 5 months,

check for year 2008

here 1st news - tribuneindia.com/2008/20080923/himachal.htm

2nd news - tribuneindia.com/2008/20081017/himachal.htm#7

but check for December update - tribuneindia.com/2008/20081218/himachal.htm#1

But last season - Rohtang remain open till 3rd week of November - check here - tribuneindia.com/2009/20091122/himachal.htm#5

Just check that site (http://www.tribuneindia.com/) for more

Kerala
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to manali in October

Thank you, people; but you are putting me into more confusion.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to manali in October

Yes Anjan,

I am 100% confident about what am telling. ROTANG PASS IS OPEN IN OCTOBER, make no mistake about that. I had been in Rotang Pass three times, all in October. So plz do not make confusion regarding this.

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to manali in October

who?? making confusion? me?? oi ashish - i am just posting fact..

do you know last year's(2009) closing date BRO officially announced for Rohtang Pass?? its 31st oct'2010,, but its closed (TEMPORARY) even on September, and then this pass open again till December..

@Shari - i am trying to say - NO ONE CAN PREDICT snowfall (not even WEATHER OFFICE, nor BRO or anyone who visited only three times) but snowfall usually started there in high passes from October..

and don't worry - we going tto Rohtang only for playing with snow, if Rohtang not accessible - that means you can find lots of snow in Marhi or Gulaba,(Snow Point till road open)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to manali in October

I think Anjan da has a point. Rohtang recieved "UNSEASONAL" snowfall late last month and I mentioned this one of the HP forums too. Manali-Leh highway was closed.. group of school children stranded at Batal for a few days returning from Chandratal Lake, group of trekkers from Mumbai standed too. The tours to Lahual-Spiti & Manali-Leh typically wind up by late September. But it shouldn't matter to you unless you plan to cross Rohtang pass.

New Delhi
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to manali in October

We are going to Manali in 1st week of October, would be ice there...

8. Re: Visit to manali in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 12:56