We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to go to manali

AHMEDABAD,INDIA
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how to go to manali

I plan to visit manali in early november. I will be accompanied by 2 senior citizens. I want your opinion about following:

1. Is it ok to fly from delhi to kullu by deccan? I have read adverse comments about flying to kullu.

2. How far is manali from chandigarh? How long it will take?

3. Is it better totravel by road or fly with 2 senior citizens?

4. How cold will be manali? Also do one feel altitude problem there?

Thanks I await your replies.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to go to manali

Travel to Kullu by Road will be a long journey and considering Sr. Citizens i may not recommend it. If you think Air Deccan has adverse comments then goahead and travel by Indian Airlines or what ever available using a full service airlines. November will be start of Winter season and some times its snows in Kullu Manali area in the month of November.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Pune
Level Contributor
500 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to go to manali

We travelled to Manali last year by road from delhi via chandigarh, and it is a long long journey. while flying is a good option we were told that flights can be cancelled last minute due to bad weather. so check with the airlines. November will be cold so go prepared.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to go to manali

I travelled to Manali in May this year with my family. No senior citizens among us but one of us was hampered by a slipped disc so we had to go really slow. We did see taxis and buses with plenty of senior citizens in them just zipping past us. According to their site, the Himachal Tourism buses take about 15 - 18 hours from Chandigarh to Manali

If we could have taken the flight to Bhuntar near Kullu, we would have, but since it was peak season, flight tickets got snapped ip before we knew it.

Instead we took the Shatabdi Express from Delhi to Chandigarh (about 3-4 hours). We had tickets to Kalka but we were advised to get taxis from Chandigarh instead of Kalka. Something to do with efficiency and wider choice of vehicles, we were told.

We had arranged for an air-conditioned Tavera to drive us from there. The air-conditioned part was a big mistake because they have this condition which says that it will not be switched on in the hills. Since the hills start within a couple of hours from Chandigarh, that was a sheer waste. But we really appreciated the roominess and stability of the Tavera.

We drove from Chandigarh and took overnight halts at Shimla, Mandi and then drove straight ahead to Manali. Broken up this way, the journey is not so tedious and tiring. Plus you get to really enjoy the scenery and also have the luxury of lingering where you want to.

The road from Shimla to Mandi was not so good and if I had to do it all over again I think I would have totally skipped the Shimla route and gone via Bilaspur instead.

I'm afraid I cant help you with the 4th question because I was there in summer. But I must tell you that even in summer it gets quite cold once the sun goes down.

4. Re: how to go to manali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 12:55