We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Hey,

I am planning to travel to Joginder Nagar in the month of June, but since me and my kids (5 yrs old and 1.5 yrs old) have a slight problem in hilly areas, so we prefer going by the toy trains.

But, on the way, we wish to visit the temples Jwala Ji, Kangra, Chamunda Devi and Baijnath Temple with a stay at Palampur and Joginder Nagar.

So this is how I have planned.

From Pathankot, we will board the Toy Train.

We will get down at Jawalamukhi Road Station. Now the distance from station to the temple is 20 kms. Please correct me, if I am wrong. Any idea how much time would it take to reach there keeping the roads in mind. Also how much time will it take approximately to do the darshan here?

Post darshan, we will come back to the station and take a train for Kangra Brijeshwari temple. There are two stations - Kangra and Kangra Mandir. So please tell me which is the nearest one to the temple and what is the distance from there to the temple and how much time will it take? Again, a rough idea as to how much time will it take for the darshan?

From here, we will come back to the station recommended by you, and leave for Chamunda Devi. As per the info on the net, the nearest station is Nagrota Bagwan. But I also see a station on the net as Chamunda Marg station. So please advise as to which one is the nearest and how much is the distance? Secondly, how much time it will take from there to the temple and rough idea as to how much time it will take for the darshan?

After darshan, we will come back to the station to take another train for Palampur, where we will stay for a day.

The next day in the morning, we will leave for Baijnath Mandir. Again two stations are listed - Baijnath Paprola and Baijnath Mandir. Please guide us which one is the nearest, how much is the distance and how much time it will take to reach there? How much time is sufficient for the darshan?

We will come back to station from there and proceed to Joginder Nagar for a day's stay.

Alternatively, also wanted to know if we get down at Jawalamukhi Road station and do rest of the journey to the three temples (Jwalamukhi, Kangra and Chamunda Devi) by road and then finally get down at the station nearest to the Chamunda Devi temple, then how much will be the total distance, how much time it will take to cover that distance, keeping aside the darshan time, and how are the roads, are they very steep and curvy, or are they okie for people who have travel sickness in hilly areas.

Lastly, please let me know distance from Kangra railway station to Gaggal Airport and Kangra Mandir railway station to Gaggal airport and time consumed for respective journeys.

My sincere apologies for a lengthy query, but this info is extremely important for me to plan my travel.

Many thanks in advance.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Hi,

will answers your queries :

1.We will get down at Jawalamukhi Road Station. Now the distance from station to the temple is 20 kms. Please correct me, if I am wrong. Any idea how much time would it take to reach there keeping the roads in mind. Also how much time will it take approximately to do the darshan here?

Reply : It will not take you more than half an hour to reach Jwalaji temple by taxi. This stretch of road is not very hilly & condition of road is also good. Regarding dharshan, it could take between an hour to 4 hours based on the crowd at that point of time.

2.Post darshan, we will come back to the station and take a train for Kangra Brijeshwari temple. There are two stations - Kangra and Kangra Mandir. So please tell me which is the nearest one to the temple and what is the distance from there to the temple and how much time will it take? Again, a rough idea as to how much time will it take for the darshan?

Reply : What I suggest is that instead of taking a train, you can directly go to Brijeshwari temple from Jwalamukhi. Its roughly one hour drive. You will save a lot of time. Otherwise get dn at Kangra mandir. Temple is 4-5 kms from there. Dharshan time would be same as Jwalaji temple.

From here, we will come back to the station recommended by you, and leave for Chamunda Devi. As per the info on the net, the nearest station is Nagrota Bagwan. But I also see a station on the net as Chamunda Marg station. So please advise as to which one is the nearest and how much is the distance? Secondly, how much time it will take from there to the temple and rough idea as to how much time it will take for the darshan?

Reply : Once again, you can directly go to Chamunda devi by road. It will take roughly an hour & road is pretty good. Taking train is too much of headache for this small stretch & even if you get down at Chamunda marg station, you still have to take another 15-20 mins taxi ride till the temple.

Once again, you can avoid train & go directly to Palampur by road. Its about 17 kms & won't take long. Maximum half an hour by taxi. From Palampur, Baijnath temple is just 30 mins away from taxi. From Baijnath, you can go to Jogindernagar by road. Another 20 mins drive. You can completely avoid train for all these short distances, since roads are not too steep & also in good condition. Finally, you can take a train from Jo/nagar to Pathankot.

On your last query, Gaggal airport is around 15 kms from Kangra station & it will take about half an hour to reach there. From Kangra mandir, airport is around 10 kms & will take around 20 mins....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Thanks a million for your patience and step by step guidance :)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

The only thing which still disturbs me is that in the month of June, will it be advisable to board the slow moving local toy train with small kids for such a long journey.

One it will be scorching hot in the month of June

Second being a local train, it will be crowded with locals

Third being a holiday season and the only option available, it will also be crowded by the people going on a vacation.

So I am double minded regarding taking this risk. I wish Kangra Queen train till Palampur was still operational :(

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

As you rightly mentioned, its going to be a rather tiring & tough journey since there is no a/c option available on this train. Its an ordinary train & takes much longer compared to a taxi ride from pathankot which usually takes 2 hours from Pathankot to Kangra/Jwalamukhi....

As such, it won't be crowded with locals. Moreover not many tourist opt for this. But yes, journey will be tough with temperatures above 40 degree for most part of journey.....

Happy holidaying...

Vijayawada
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Ashishpuri

Sir, Can you please give the details on Dharamshala sightseeing places that can be covered in one and half day. We will reach dharamshala from manali on may 18th afternoon and leave to dalhousie on 20th.

Jwalamukhi temple must be included mainly.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 23:11
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Hi,

My apologies for late response, since I am seeing this post after a long time. One & half day is very short for seeing the entire dharamsala. What you should not miss includes dalai lama monastry, bhagsu nag temple, waterfall, naddi, dal lake & mcleodganj market.

You should also visit norbulingka, chinmaya tapovan, chamunda devi, kangra ji & Jwalaji temple.

Its going to be hectic though....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Dear Ashish,

I was just reading an article that in August 2011, torrential rains washed away the bridge on Chakki river and hence the train service between Pathankot and Kangra have been suspended ever since. So are there no trains running on this route right now?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Hi Ashish,

Just read another article that as of March 31, 2012, the route has been restored.

Needed a piece of advice... which station is closest to Dharamshala.. Kangra or Kangra Mandir ?

Also, how much is the distance and time taken from each of the stations? Lastly, how is the road ... is it too curvy and steep?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Hi choco 376,

Yes the rail link has been restored now. The distance is more or less same from Kangra/Kangra Mandir to Dharamsala. Its about 22 kms. Usually takes 30-40 mins by car & an hour or so by bus.

If you get down at Kangra, 1st 4 kms is ghat section. Its not too steep though. Then once you enter kangra town, its almost straight road for next 6-7 kms. Like you are driving in plains. The last leg of 8 kms is again hilly starting from Chaitru to Dharamsala.

If you get down at Kangra Mandir, Kangra town is about 2 kms away & road is fine. Beyond that its same as above. Kangra mandir is closer by 2 kms compared to kangra station.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jwalamukhi - Kangra Mandir - Chamunda Devi - Baijnath Mandir

Thanks buddy.

This is how I have planned.

Day 1 (Jun 10 - Sun) Delhi to Pathankot. Stay at Pathankot.

Day 2 (Jun 11 - Mon) Pathankot to Palampur. Early Morning Train. Stay at Palampur.

Day 3 (Jun 12 - Tue) Palampur to Joginder Nagar. Late Evening Train. Stay at Joginder Nagar.

Day 4 (Jun 13 - Wed) Stay in Joginder Nagar

Day 5 (Jun 14 - Thu) Joginder Nagar to Kangra Mandir. Early Morning Train. Then Taxi to Dharamsala. Stay at Dharamsala.

Day 6 (Jun 15 - Fri) Stay at Dharamsala.

Day 7 (Jun 16 - Sat) Drive to Kangra Mandir. Train from Kangra Mandir to Pathankot. Then Overnight Train from Pathankot to Delhi.

Day 08 (Jun 17 - Sun) Reach Delhi Early Morning.

I hope the Itinerary looks good. Kindly advise.