We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to purchase alcohol

Victoria, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Where to purchase alcohol

I heard Gujarat is a dry state. But where will a thirsty English cricket supporter find a cold beer (or three) in the evenings after the fiurst test match in December?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to purchase alcohol

Its been a while since I've last been to Ahmedabad, but at that time, there was a permit-liquor store in the Cama hotel.

My guess is that your hotel staff will be able to direct you to a permit-store. They'll ask for your passport and may limit the amount you can purchase.

All the best.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to purchase alcohol

Alcohol is avilable for sale at select hotels only to the residents of those hotels. The liquor has to consumed in your room and can not be consumed in the restaurant or public places. Check if your hotel has a liquor shop. You will need to get a permit issued that allows you to buy a limted amount of liquor dependingon the number of days you sre staying in Gujarat. Youd better get all non-drinking friends to get permits issued or your thrist shall remain unquenched.

UK
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to purchase alcohol

I've put a detailed account of the permit requirements you'll need to complete to get your liquor license on my blog. When you first arrive you can get a simple license at the hotels, though you'll still need copies of a local resident's driving license, and your own passport including your visa and arrival stamps. If you stay longer you'll need to complete a more extensive licensing procedure which you can read about here:

http://crittersetc.blogspot.com/

Hope it helps

Mandy

ahmedabad
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to purchase alcohol

it's a little bit of a hassle but I've beend here 3 years and my liqour cabinets stays full. I have to keep two refigerators. The little one for food and the big on to keep the kingfishers, hayward, carlsberg and fosters nice and cold.

get touch if you want to know the REAL scoop on getting your hops on in ahmedabad

AhmedaBOB

The ahmedabad relocators

http//www.ahmedabadrelocation.com

5. Re: Where to purchase alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 12:47