We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aldeia Santa Rita

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Aldeia Santa Rita

Going to ASR on 2nd April - soooo excited - anyone else on Manchester flight? Just a couple of questions if anyone can help please.

Do we need a padlock for the safety deposit boxes - if so, what size approx?

Are pool towels provided?

I've read loads of threads about different beach shacks can anyone recommend any near to ASR?

And finally - tipping at airport, restaurants etc? How much is

given as a tip (don't want to under / over tip).

Thanks everyone. Only 9 sleeps to go!!!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

We have been to ASR 4 times and have booked for next Feb. You can bring your own medium sized lock or buy one of them for a couple of quid. We always tip waiter 200rps a night at hotel. Some people may say that's ridiculous but its only £2.50 ish between two people and the service you get for whole hols will be excellent. When we leave we tip room boy and barmen. Don't tip anyone at airport especially the porters who now want £2 to carry your bag 50 yards. Just keep hold of your bags and politely tell them no. Don't tip taxi drivers as the price they charge already is 4 times more than it should be. In a restaurant we may leave 100 rps for a large meal with drinks etc but for say two drinks about 20rps is more than enough. The shacks by hotel are ok but the beach is dirty. Best walk further up towards ship and try a few before settling for the one you like most.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

Thanks for yr help - it's our first visit to Goa so just trying to get as much local info as possible. Thanks again.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

You will love ASR the staff are fantastic. Rooms area basic but clean. E-mail hotel and request a room somewhere between A1 and G1 (A1 being nearest to entrance). These are all on the main walk through the hotel. Some of the rooms at the back can be quite dark. The main bars in Candolim are not far away. You can walk in 10 minutes or get a taxi for no more than 100rps. Close by are Tiger Bar and over the road is Shivers which I can recommend. The hotel taxis are more expensive and will rip you off if your not careful. We only used them for short trips and walked up the road to pick up cheaper ones.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

Thanks for all your help. i've emailed the hotel about the rooms so we'll just have to wait and see!! Fingers crossed. Only two more sleeps - so excited!! Will def. try Shivers and Tiger Bar (& many others). Thanks again.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

We are booked to go on 16 April and have upgraded the rooms. Are there hairdryers in the room or would I have to take my own? Thanks

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

I'm not sure about upgraded rooms but the normal ones definitely don't. Bring your own.

Knaresborough...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

Hi Scousemat- reassured to see you are still visiting the ASR and giving up-to-date advice. It's been 6 years since we were last there, and we have just booked for March 2013- it will be our 4th visit. Then after I had booked I came on Trip Advisor and read the latest negative reviews about crime and the lack of staff & poor maintenance at the ASR, saying that Candolim had changed and not for the better, the beach had all been washed away & was full of Russians in thongs (??!), etc. Will we find a big difference? I can't say I am really bothered about faded towels and rust on the fridges because it was like that last time we went! I seem to remember people being upset in 2006 by the filming of a Bollywood movie which kept them away from the pool area. Such things don't bother me in the slightest. But I would not like to think the ASR was any different from what we remember. Just looking for reassurance, I suppose.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

I can reassure you that the ASR is still a fantastic hotel with regular clientèle returning year after year. They have lost staff and we did have one or two problems with service a couple of nights but that was probably due to us being quite a large group ordering at different times and pestering for drinks all the time lol. You won't see much difference to be honest but they are upgrading/painting the rooms we believe. The food in my opinion is probably better and since you last came they now have a pool bar. The beach was always going down hill by the hotel but now the boats gone hopefully will improve. As for Russians in g-strings as a 50 year old this is more of a highlight for me, but each to there own lol.

Knaresborough...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

Thank you so much for replying so promptly. Now very much looking forward to our return. We haven't been back for so long owing to 2 weddings & a funeral to pay for as well as putting our youngest daughter through university...there were 5 of us in the past...next time it will just be us.

Sorry to have to let you down regarding the Russians in crusty old cheese-cutters- the reviewer was disturbed because they were middle aged men.

Roll on 2013!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aldeia Santa Rita

we were there in arch and had a great time staff so friendly and remembered us from 15 months before ! the bar man took one look and told us our favourite drink. i was worried when i read some of the reviews before going and nearly changed hotel ! we had room H4 on main path upstairs nice room and the rooms that side get the late afternoon sun on the balcony. i e mailed 2 weeks before going to ask for upstairs room, that side and got it.

beach is much better now than year before very clean when we were there, not all the rubbish you get as you go towards the main beach, less selllers in that part too. If you turn left when you get to the beach and walk up to the fort (10 mins) fantastic shack called tonys superb sea food, good place to watch locals at play (cricket etc) didnt see any russians in thongs or not !

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations