We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Hampton Hill...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Last went to Goa 5 years ago, there were hardly any cash points, so had to take Travellers Cheques & change them, bit of a pain!

Have things changed, could I get away with just taking my debit card and using cash machines? if so anyone know what they charge for withdrawals?

Was thinking of getting one of those 'Money Cards' that Thomas Cook offer

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

There are quite a few ATMs in Calangute. Just check with your bank what charges you will incur and let them know you are going. Also I believe from other posts on here that some of the Indian Banks now charge you for using the machines. Not sure which ones but I am sure someone will come on and inform you.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

There are plenty of ATM's in Candolim but most UK banks charge now to use them and also some Indian Banks add their own charges too. I think you'll find the charges on Money Cards expensive too. If you shop around you can get Travelers cheques for around 1% and these are easy to change as is cash. M&S usually have good price for TC's. Have a seach on here loads of posts about holiday money.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Banks that didn't charge extra last year, Axis, ICICI, Union .Don’t use HDFC they did charge.

Hampton Hill...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Thanks, think I'll stick with the travellers cheques, at least then there are no hidden charges!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

I find TCs are still best for Goa especially as my bank don't charge if I order them online.

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Do they take conmission when you change then and best place to change

Thanks

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

I've never had to pay to change my travellers cheques and always get the same rate as my partner does for cash. We stay in Cavelossim and usually change them at J'ai International.

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

My issue with Travellers cheques (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you have to take your passport along to change them. To be honest my passport never leaves the Hotel once I'm in Goa.

If you lose that passport you're stuck in Goa............................. Hmmmmmmm second thoughts, is that a bad thing?

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

Here's a quick example of an ATM withdrawal in Goa taken from my bank statement................... (Barclays)

Cash Withdrawal at Calangute Goa India This transaction was for INR 10,000,00 at exch rate 66.151 on 1 Apr and includes commission of £4.05 and a fee of £3.02

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash Machines, do you need travellers cheques anymore?!

I only take my passport the first time I cash my travellers cheques. As long as I cash them at the same place & take the previous receipt with me they don't ask for my passport again.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations