We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

wales uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

been to my doctors for a private prescription for malarone and he told me I do not need to take them for India but cannot tell what ones to take until I know where exactly I am going in goa has anyone else taken malarone to go before thanks

scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

i have heard it is one of the best to take but can be very expencive i am taking the paludrine /avloclor you will get it in most chemists for around £15

wales uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

yes it is expensive but have taken it before when we went to kenya but don't know if it is okay for goa

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

You can check this thread out as well

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k4…

Krakow, Poland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

I traveled to India last year, October 17th - November 7th. I took Malarone, but it turned out it was not necessary. There were no mosquitos at that time of the year. But on the other hand, I felt more at ease taking the pills. In addition, some doctors say the pills are harmfull to the stomach. If I went there one more time, I wouldn't take them. But you have to decide for yourself.

All the best

Przemek

(If anyone wants to read about my travel to India, log on to my blog: multigato.blogspot.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

Hi Phoebe, yes you do need malaria tablets for everywhere in Goa, malarone are good, my daughter took them in January as the palundrine/avloclor played her up last year but my husband and I take them with no problems. Malarone are expensive but my daughter thought they were well worth the extra cost for her. I got hers from Superdrug, they were the cheapest chemist but I believe a lot of people get them online cheaper from Travelpharm.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

Hi Phoebe,

we have purchased Chloroquine & Proguanil anti-malarial tablets from Boots the chemist. They were £15.00 for 112 tablets.

We hope this is of use to you.

Kindest Regards.

Chris & Eileen.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
202 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

Malarone is effective against all forms of Malaria. They are definitely needed for Kenya as the type out there is chloroqine resistant unlike the strain found in India. Your doctor was probably trying to save you some money. I take them as the Paludrine etc makes me sick.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 01:58
wales uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

as i had taken them before with no side effects wanted to take them again but for some reason our doctor does not want to prescribe them even though i know they are expensive would prefer to take them

airdrie
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

none

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what malaria tablets do you need for goa?

Phoebe Marlarone are absolutely fine for Goa. I think there may be a misunderstanding here with your doctor and that he is just telling you that you dont need to go to the expense of Malarone as C&P are adequate. Maybe just go back and tell him you prefer to take them regardless of the cost. You have to take C&P for a month after you come back which you dont with Malarone and thats a real bonus for a start.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations